Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of an effort would it be to do a V6 conversion on my current Gtv 2.0?
Have anybody done it before?
I know of a few 156's that have being converted.

Know I'm gonna have to change Springs and shocks.
I'm told the front suspensions are more or less the same just spring and shocks are different.
Gearbox would most probably not work?!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it not cost less to just buy a 3L car?
I want to do a big bore conversion at the same time.
Want Dawie from Glenwood to build me a strong 3.7 engin in there.
On a 3.0 I would have upgraded suspension, brakes etc in any case
and I have the car so why not!
I also quite like look of my car, very unique.
I don't know of anther Gtv 916 in SA in Zoe Yellow!
(only a Spiders)

J

·
0 Posts
DNA cant help you on the engine transplant but could you post some pics of you interior?! I wanna see the silver dash!

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DNA cant help you on the engine transplant but could you post some pics of you interior?! I wanna see the silver dash!
Its a basically standard interior of the earlier (up to early '99 in SA) Gtv's with the centre part painted silver.

Will have a look, but don't think I have any pic of the interior.
The car is not with me now, should have it back in my garage soon.
Will take some pics then and post.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Have you thought about supercharging or turbo conversion?
I have, that was the original idea, but heard to many storys of them being unreliable and taking forever to get them sorted out properly.
Plus the sound of that V6!!!
But I want something really strong (for top end runs) yet reliable.
Had a very strong 164Q 3.2 build by Dawie, was reliable quite quick.
Whipped plenty BMW's with the humble 164 :D :cool:

Drove a few big bores by Glenwood and I just love the way it makes its power!

R

·
0 Posts
How much of an effort would it be to do a V6 conversion on my current Gtv 2.0?
Have anybody done it before?
I know of a few 156's that have being converted.

Know I'm gonna have to change Springs and shocks.
I'm told the front suspensions are more or less the same just spring and shocks are different.
Gearbox would most probably not work?!
Too much! Apart from engine and suspension you will need gearbox, diff, clutch, exhaust, cooling, management systems and a host of other things as well. The cost would be huge, so unless you just love a challenge I'm sure most people would suggest you just buy a V6 as a base and start from there.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm no expert, but surely it would be much cheaper to get a 3.0l and move all your nice bits from your old motor in... and respray?

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Seems like you guys just said what my head knew but my heart didn't want to hear ;)

Haven't got all the cash yet, but I'm not really in hurry to finish it.
If I go for a really strong engine I'm going to be forced to do a clutch upgrade and limited slip diff.
Think I need to decide on exactly what I want and then see if its worth it at the end of the day.
The later Gtv's (all the 3.0's in SA) have got the nicer interior aswell.

·
Registered
30,200 Posts
Would it not cost less to just buy a 3L car?
Always.

It never makes sense to convert a 2.0 to a 3.0V6 when the 3.0 version is readily available.

J

·
0 Posts
Always.

It never makes sense to convert a 2.0 to a 3.0V6 when the 3.0 version is readily available.
what happens if the car you want is not readily available?

I really would like a V6 spider in black with black leather, oh and it has to be a P1......

so given that there are less that 5 registered in the UK i have been looking at trying to find a donor car that has been smacked in the back or something

plus i know that all my rear suspension has been done and the body is pretty straight, so this might be a different way of getting what i want.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
I bought some parts from i guy who put 3.0 in to a 2.0, it was a big job with lots of hidden traps, he had the donor car beside the one he was building so that way he did,t have to go to the breakers yard every time he ran in to a new problem, i remember him telling me the wiring looms gave him most hassle, fuel line runs on different side of each car, heater in 2.0 gets in way of V6 engine, V6 oil pump and filter get in the way of front panel on 2.0 and probably a few other things as well , it took him a while to do it but if you have time and money it can be done.
Your yellow GTV is very unique and very nice car.:thumbs:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts