Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have bought the most complicated tensioning tool out there. A pair of stilsons would have done the trick (& far cheaper) but I'm scratching my head how this actually works. Anyone used one? (It's a Laser 3791 tool)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Pud, I was going to get order one of these plus some other bits, but Totally Alfa (Gary) is not well at the moment - so the website says. The functionality for buying has been removed from the site.

He has his own version of the laser tool on there as well....I'll try & work it out somehow!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Do you have any scrap metal around Murray? I have one of the tools Dan quoted, so if needed you could make your own with some dimensions

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Taylor, I'll keep trying to work this tool out for now...ha.

BTW: Got both engines & boxes out over the last few days so now have uprights avail if still needed; they are in an 'ok; condition - don't look too pretty but top bearing spinning free and no knocking.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Just to tie up this thread. Here's the tool in situ; finally worked it out :rolleyes:

The bottom is anchored into the alternator bolt position. The nut on the long bolt that's visible is then tightened/loosened to set the tension on the belt. Good thing is it holds the tensioner in precisely the correct position as you torque up the tensioner bolts.

I reckon it would be a definite struggle to use this with the engine in the car, plus it's £50. Unless you're working on engines out of the car I wouldn't recommend this tool.

I know there is no belt on in the photo!

Attachments

Reactions: Taylor93
1 - 7 of 7 Posts