Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. As might be obvious from my username I'm a 147 fan and would love a 147 GTA. However, budget and finding an unmolested one are leading me to consider other V6 powered Alfas.

So, if I can't find a decent GTA, what would be second best from a usable, future classic perspective? Or should I hold out for a 147 GTA?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Only my opinion but a GTA will hold its value better than a GTV simply because it has GTA on the back, but to the right buyer either will hold value if kept in cherished condition.

GTA 3.2 - more highly strung, peaky power delivery. 147 GTA stock suspension totally inadequate for the power in all honesty but adds to the "insane" feeling ;)
GTV 3.0 - felt smoother to me, seem to have more low down grunt
GT 3.0 - Same as above
GT 3.2 - GTA in all but name

I have a 147 GTA and although not unmolested it has some sensible mods which you should 100% look for.

1. Q2 or Quaife differential. The stock diffs have a tendency to explode.
2. CF2 de-cat manifolds. Not essential by any means but remove a lot of heat from the engine bay, needs to be done properly and does make the car a lot louder.

You'll be really happy with anything with a busso :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
I have a gtv cup and love the engine and its power
Never driven a GTA therefore cannot tell the difference between the two. Engine spec very similar.
For value, if you can find a Cup, and the GTA will keep and rise I think looking at the trend and I do not see why not.
They are both great cars

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
600 Posts
A GT is just a more grown up GTA. Well worth considering as you can pick one up for a grand or two less.I had a 147 GTA in my early 30's. It got more attention than the GT I have now granted but that may have been because it was bright red. The GT is equally as fun a car with more practicality

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was wondering that. I miss my 147 as it always felt special. GTA is very special. GT has same dash as the 147 basically yes? And interior looks special with leather.

Mainly missing a 6 or 8 cylinder at the moment.

·
Registered
998 Posts
One other thing to consider is that GT and GTA rear seats will be more usable

GTV is a bit marginal back there, still a beaut though

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Hi all. As might be obvious from my username I'm a 147 fan and would love a 147 GTA. However, budget and finding an unmolested one are leading me to consider other V6 powered Alfas.

So, if I can't find a decent GTA, what would be second best from a usable, future classic perspective? Or should I hold out for a 147 GTA?
On rare occasions you may find a good 156 V6 for sale. Less raw power than a GTA, but great fun to drive and practical nevertheless, and still has poke if you keep the 2.5 up above 5000 rpm...easy to do with six gears.
Also you'll get a good 2.5 for about £1000-£2500...about £6000 less than a GTA...

No-one really wants a 156V6....always a good time to buy....trouble is most of them have been ragged, rusted and run into the ground...most, but not all.

GTV 3.0 quicker than the 156 V6, not much short of a GTA. Although it is only a 2 seater in effect. Some very nice examples can be found as more of them tend to be garaged and fussed over, certainly than the 156 and 166 V sixes. Prices from about £4000-£5000 for good ones.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
It depends what sort of car you want.

147 GTA = small/medium car with mental power
GTV = design as a sports tourer, think of it as a two seater with space for a bag in the back.
GT = A family sized car.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
mind you if you love the 147 but can't afford a GTA...what is wrong with a twin spark 147?....still great fun cars to drive so I've heard.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, I've had a 147 in the past and the TS just doesn't have enough power. I'm also wanting a usable classic with a V6 Busso engine hence my query about other small(ish) Alfas with a silly V6 up front.

The car would be garaged most of the time as I'd be using one of my other two cars, either my Mondeo estate for family duties or my 123d coupe as my other daily driver.

So, my ask is, do I go for a 147 GTA, bearing in mind they seem to be getting rarer and/or ones in budget seem to need significant work, or a relatively sorted GTV/Spider (probably not a Cup though), or a GT without the perceived cachet of a GTV/GTA.

156/166 just aren't suitable due to garage dimensions and that probably may also cut the GT out of the equation too.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
OK, I've had a 147 in the past and the TS just doesn't have enough power. I'm also wanting a usable classic with a V6 Busso engine hence my query about other small(ish) Alfas with a silly V6 up front.

The car would be garaged most of the time as I'd be using one of my other two cars, either my Mondeo estate for family duties or my 123d coupe as my other daily driver.

So, my ask is, do I go for a 147 GTA, bearing in mind they seem to be getting rarer and/or ones in budget seem to need significant work, or a relatively sorted GTV/Spider (probably not a Cup though), or a GT without the perceived cachet of a GTV/GTA.

156/166 just aren't suitable due to garage dimensions and that probably may also cut the GT out of the equation too.
If a 156 is too big for your garage then a GT will also be too big...they are pretty much the same size (GT is based on a 156 Sportwagon).

A GTV is bigger (wider) than you would think too.

Sounds like you really need a 147 GTA!

·
Registered
13,688 Posts
If a 156 is too big for your garage then a GT will also be too big...they are pretty much the same size (GT is based on a 156 Sportwagon).

A GTV is bigger (wider) than you would think too.

Sounds like you really need a 147 GTA!
GTV is small
http://www.the-blueprints.com/bluep.../cars/alfaromeo/alfa_romeo_gtv_1997-27463.jpg

GT
https://www.the-blueprints.com/blue...s/alfaromeo/alfa_romeo_gt_2007_2007-20399.jpg

The Spider we have would fit in the garage quite easily. I can walk around the car easily enough. The GT was not so. Whilst the GTV is marginally wider it is 8" smaller.
Not much difference in length between the GTV and 147 GTA
http://www.tutorials3d.com/blueprints/alfa147GTA.jpg

I can't fit the 159 in the garage now I have a cupboard at the rear of the garage. That's a fricken truck :lol:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Just get the 147 gta !!

My first car was a 147 twinspark, it was a great car very nice but lacked oomph.
I decided to upgrade to the gta, as I always wanted one since I was 16 and watching Clarkson driving it around on top gear. It has been a great car, everything I expected of this car and more. I have had some great moments and some times where it's really peed me off, but it's easy to forgive any problems when all is just fine. It also became our family car and has carried around my child, buggy etc so it has plenty of room. Alrhough my wife now drives too which is good as it keeps the miles off the gta.
I think you need to expect a lot higher running costs compared to a normal 147 but you will not regret it one bit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't doubt I'd regret it, but just finding one is proving difficult, let alone finding one I could smuggle past my wife and budget.

Who said life was easy?

·
Registered
4,932 Posts
Your garage must be tiny if you can't get a 156/GT in it?

I can't recomend the GT enough. It is by far the best Alfa I have owned. It looks amazing, it is very comfortable and is deceptivly practical. If you can make it work then get one! Specifically, buy DNG's one in the 147/156/gt lounge ;)

I also have a GTV. Good car but very hard to live with day to day. The doors are a nightmare and the boot is useless. It also feels significanlty more fragile.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
As above, if your garage is not big enough for a 156 or GT then you will never be able to open the GTV doors wide enough to enter/exit the car. They need to be pretty much 90 degree angle to be comfortable.
I have a Busso GT and a Cup and the GTV seems more responsive and 'chuckable' even though their kerb weights are virtually identical.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
As it seems you are in love with at 147GTA, you just have to be patient and wait for a good one.:thumbup:
My choice would be a GT - I think it looks fantastic. But having no garage it would be impractical to keep up with rust and other issues.:paranoid:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Buy the GTA it what you want. I was looking for just the right V6 3.2 spider and long story short didn't buy one. Love the mini I bought instead. But get pangs of regret whenever I see a spider!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Garage width is fine, but length is limited due to storing winter tyres for other cars and workbench.

I need to measure up! I have an MGF in there at the moment with a fair old bit of room around it, but I do park it to one side and leave the end of it with about 1" or 2" to the door.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts