Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying a V6 air intake mod for my 1.8TS GT.

Anybody here have one on their 156/147/GT twinny engine? Are there any negatives associated with running one of these on the twinspark engine?

I know there will be little or no performance improvement but from what I have read the new sound from the engine with the mod is suppose to be great.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Mj

R

·
0 Posts
I'm considering buying a V6 air intake mod for my 1.8TS GT.

Anybody here have one on their 156/147/GT twinny engine? Are there any negatives associated with running one of these on the twinspark engine?

I know there will be little or no performance improvement but from what I have read the new sound from the engine with the mod is suppose to be great.

Any feedback would be appreciated
Mj
hi had one on my sele didnt really notice any differance noise wise

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
removing the resonator box makes some difference... (but more noise) you can also use the intake of a jtd,
cheaper and same specs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
i did some research on the 2.0ts 16v on the dyno.
replacing the intake silencer with the v6 or jtd pipe with an k&n gives a bit more from 5500 up. but removing the trumpet in the air cleaner removes some power in the middle.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
David, you got me there :) but in Holland the stealers charge more for a GTA intake....
the British stealers are less greedy I reckon...:p

·
Registered
30,084 Posts
David, you got me there :) but in Holland the stealers charge more for a GTA intake....
the British stealers are less greedy I reckon...:p
The GTA intake is different. (larger & without the kink to clear the Q-System cooler & JTD intercooler, although it still clears the GTA power-steering cooler!)
The 2.5v6 & JTD are the same part.

·
Registered
9,206 Posts
I've had a v6 pipe fitted to my 2.0 TS for several years. I'm sure the throttle response is a bit better, and that's using the standard air-filter and box, and there is a very slight increase in noise, but nothing much. No issues with anything else. Leave the trumpet in the air-box.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi, here is my experience with the V6 mod:

Replacement: removing the TS intake silencer was possible from under the car (lifted up on a hydraulic workshop lift) with only removing the engine guard, but in the process the plastic support arm (bolted to the car chassis) of the silencer had to be broken, and also the plastic support arm for the curved pipe had to go. After that, the curved pipe was removed first, then the bigger resonance box, by pulling down the bottom part of the front left wing of the car. Some twisting of the box was necessary. The V6 pipe fits directly to the air filter box. Extra support has not seemed necessary so far. The air filter box is kept standard, with trumpet in.

Results: after the replacement, I took the car for a drive and in the first 2 min. or so revved the engine in 3rd to about 4000 rpm and lifted off. I heard a "pop" in the exhaust, which indicates lean mixture. My conclusion is that there indeed was less intake resistance and the ECU had not yet adjusted for it, hence the lean mixture. Less intake resistance is good, so the mod stays.

Noise: The increase in noise was very noticeable. I have since padded the walls of the compartment between the wheel arch, the wing and the air filter box with several layers of filt and other sound absorbing sheets. The intake now resides in padded "room", where the only openings are the mesh next to the fog light and the slit under the front light. The intake can not be heard when crusing at 70 km/h. Any prod of the throttle though is heard. At highway speeds the sound is intoxicating. So far I have not had a collision with the law, but I am doomed ;-)

Cheers,
Borislav

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi, here is my experience with the V6 mod:

Replacement: removing the TS intake silencer was possible from under the car (lifted up on a hydraulic workshop lift) with only removing the engine guard, but in the process the plastic support arm (bolted to the car chassis) of the silencer had to be broken, and also the plastic support arm for the curved pipe had to go. After that, the curved pipe was removed first, then the bigger resonance box, by pulling down the bottom part of the front left wing of the car. Some twisting of the box was necessary. The V6 pipe fits directly to the air filter box. Extra support has not seemed necessary so far. The air filter box is kept standard, with trumpet in.

Results: after the replacement, I took the car for a drive and in the first 2 min. or so revved the engine in 3rd to about 4000 rpm and lifted off. I heard a "pop" in the exhaust, which indicates lean mixture. My conclusion is that there indeed was less intake resistance and the ECU had not yet adjusted for it, hence the lean mixture. Less intake resistance is good, so the mod stays.

Noise: The increase in noise was very noticeable. I have since padded the walls of the compartment between the wheel arch, the wing and the air filter box with several layers of filt and other sound absorbing sheets. The intake now resides in padded "room", where the only openings are the mesh next to the fog light and the slit under the front light. The intake can not be heard when crusing at 70 km/h. Any prod of the throttle though is heard. At highway speeds the sound is intoxicating. So far I have not had a collision with the law, but I am doomed ;-)

Cheers,
Borislav

Hello Borislav,

Great mod. Do you have some photos it?

Cheers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts