Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I went out in the car V6 2000 ph2 6 speed, all was well. Stopped the car and 45 mins later went to drive home, ABS and hand brake light stayed on and speedo not working. Anything I can check/ ideas before I have to send it to the garage. Thanks guys.:depressed:

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Could it be something as simple as a fuse? I managed to blow a side light fuse (one of the ones in the smaller fuse box under the steering wheel). While replacing it I took out the adjacent fuse and accidentally put the blown one back in resulting in the ABS light coming on. It cleared as soon as I put the right fuse back in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Speedo and ABS are taking the same signal from all 4 ABS sensors. Therefore if one of them is not giving signal this happens.
Points to check: All fuses (under steering wheel and under bonnet). ABS cables. Abs sensor gap (clean). And ground cables (good luck with this).

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Now I think about it, doesn't the hand brake light also indicate low brake pads on the front? Mine started flickering before I changed my pads and they were well low so for it to suddenly come on could suggest a broken wire or blown fuse. Hopefully something simple to fix.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys:yes: This morning I went out and noticed the brake fluid was low, so I topped it up and bingo, key in the ignition and all lights went out. Took her for a spin and all is good. The brake fluid is filthy so that needs changing asap. I've been so busy with work and our bathroom over the last couple of months, the cars have been a bit neglected. So I guess it always pays to check the little things first. I'll get the computer out to see if any faults have been logged, just in case there are any other issues.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I got something like this off eBay...

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Car-Brak...106126&hash=item3af4149ca5:g:urIAAOSw4GVZ3w5H

Not sure how accurate it is but hopefully a reasonable indication of whether or not the fluid is due a change. I'd give your brakes a good look over to make sure you haven't got a leak that could potentially get more serious/dangerous and keep a close eye on your fluid level. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've had the V6 for 20 months, she's been serviced and a few other bits changed, new oil cooler and Alfaholics down pipes. The brakes will get a througher going over, but the fluid definitely needs changing. Prior to me she was not driven very much for 3 years going by the milage on the MOT's and I only have a few previous receipts for work carried out.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I've had my Spider for just over a month now. Had the cam belt, variator, water pump and plugs changed yesterday... excellent service as ever from Alfashop who were very impressed with the overall condition. It's also passed an MOT with no advisories so apart from a minor issue with the gearbox that Alfashop said will take a couple of hours to fix and the hood being very Italian and only working some of the time all is good. Just needs a major service... engine and gearbox oil, filters, brake fluid, coolant (probably change from blue to red) etc etc

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tonight I went out in the car V6 2000 ph2 6 speed, all was well. Stopped the car and 45 mins later went to drive home, ABS and hand brake light stayed on and speedo not working. Anything I can check/ ideas before I have to send it to the garage. Thanks guys.:depressed:
Think you will find that the ABS ECU has died, ABS light & Hand Brake being on is what you will get when ECU it has failed. Had the same symptoms on my Spider TS & Autolusso fitted a used ECU to fix the issue.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
Had exactly this on my ph1 ts..

Topped up and then after a few days of driving clutch dropped to the floor.

Was the master cylinder failing.

Confirmed by brake fluid in the drivers footwell.

Glad the top up worked but keep.an eye out for abs light going back on, it will flicker at first..then stay on.

If you do need an abs unit I have one...

·
Vendor
7,045 Posts
Hi Lynn

It will be the ABS ECU, we should have one but will need the Bosch number from your one to match them up

Ned

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all reply's. been okay all day as I've been out and about, but tonight exactly the same as last night, all okay until I went to come home, both lights staying on, no speedo and the Abs light flickering when the engine is turning over.
I'm wondering does the abs unit have air in it? when i topped up the fluid it did look like a few air bubbles came up. The brakes don't feel spongy

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
What about the rev counter? Was that operating normally? During the day, when all was normal, your headlights were off?

Your comment about night and the flickering w/l makes me think alternator.

If you're out and about today and it all seems to be ok again, try loading the alternator up. Make sure you only do this when close to home! Main beams, heated rear window, fog lights, heater fan on full. Basically every electrical item that can be switched on, switch it on and see what happens.

That test may not be conclusive. Failing alternators can be intermittent.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks PKR, this morning checked fluid that seems ok, turned key to mar and all lights went out as they normally would. As you say nothing during the day was loading, I didn't even have the radio on, but when I drove the 11 miles to my horse in the evening, the lights and raidio were on. Then 45 mins after the car was sitting and then got into it to come home abs and handbrake/ fluid light on as it was the night before, this morning no load and all lights going off.
I spoke with my neighbours son this morning who is a mechanic and a good one, he said could be a small leak, rusty ring on the hub on lead. He said the unit wouldn't usually have problems with air unless the unit had been removed for complete brake strip down.
I will go for a spin later and put everything on and report back. She is on 172K so if the alternator is original, it could be starting to fail.
It's all a learning curve.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
The low brake fluid could have been usual pad wear displacement. If all 4 pads are getting worn, the fluid level will fall. It's also a good idea, just for peace of mind to check the clutch master cylinder ( as above ) and also run your fingers around the clutch slave cylinder on the gearbox.

I think the fluid is a bit of a red herring at this point as that couldn't affect the speedo. Also, as has already been mentioned, it is unlikely to be a wheel sensor as the Alfa ABS configuration averages the four wheels for the speedo.

So, if it is the ABS, you're looking at a total failure of the unit. But, with your feedback, my primary suspicion would now be the alternator whilst keeping the ABS unit as a secondary.

If you have a multimeter, hook it up whilst driving and monitor the voltage. Even under extreme load, it should never drop below 13v ( ish ) with the engine on.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Went out this afternoon, started up straight away, all lights went out drove 7 miles and stopped in at a customer, was inside for around 30 mins. Started the car but ABS light and handbrake light stayed on, no speedo but the rev counter works fine. Brakes still feel okay
Seems strange that from cold no lights stay on but once warmed up they do. I'll check the Master cylinder and clutch slave tomorrow when it's light, but the clutch does seem as normal. I had the clutch slave go on the Spider a few years back and that happened very quickly. Since the lights came on, on Tuesday night I've driven about 70 miles, clutch fluid not dropped anymore. So it's looking like the ABS unit? so do I get this one re-built or get a used one, which could mean ending up with the same problem again who knows when.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts