Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tyrekicking getting a V6 GTV at present, and I've only just noticed that these come in a 12 and 24V variant, which I didn't realise.
Other than the badging on the rear, how can you tell them apart? Are there many 12v ones in the UK or were most sold as 24v? Any pros/cons of either other than the 24v being quicker?

·
Registered
37,363 Posts
12v is a 2 litre V6 turbo. The 3 litre normally aspirated is a 24V

If the sprk plug leads are visible coming from the middle of the cam covers you have a 12v

IIRC all 2 litre 12v turbos were LHD unless specially converted.

D

·
0 Posts
Yeah what Simon said. In the UK we were supplied 3 Litre V6 24 Valve engines kicking out 220BHP, some countries abroad weren't allowed fat engines or something so were given a 2 Litre V6 12 Valve but with a turbo strapped on providing similar figures. They are extremely rare in the UK and as stated they'll be left hand drive.

If you look at a V6 GTV and it has British plates and is RHD then I can almost guarantee it will be the 3 Litre V6 24 Valve, :thumbs:

·
Registered
7,453 Posts
There was another variant, but fitted to the Spider. This was the 3.0 V6 12v, as fitted to the early 164 cars (before they got the 24v version). Again only LHD and personal imports.

The only real issue with these early 12v variants of the V6 are the tappets, which are not hydraulic and need to be periodically adjusted!

D

·
0 Posts
Yes, but if the original poster is in fact in Cheshire, then it won't matter that much because all he'll be able to land his hands on is a 3 Litre V6 24 Valve model, unless he's actually viewed a Turbo, in which case if you liked it then get it, :thumbs:

But more often than not, well more like 99.9% of the time if you see an advert for a 1996-2003 GTV V6, it WILL more than likely be the UK jobby.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
There were some RHD 12v 3.0 V6 Spiders officially imported into the UK, but production soon changed to the 24v. As mentioned above the 12v apparently does sound better than the 24v, and has better low-rev torque, but the 24v has a much sweeter top end.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I totally agree with fantom alfa, the 12v spiders do sound better, I have currently just restored a 1995 one and its brilliant to drive and the low end torque is tight. I used to have a 24v GTV and the difference is clear in a number of respects.

IBB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts