1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With ref to the 1.4 155 version

Who runs theirs on V Power?

Anyone bothered to do comparison test.
Such as mpg, distance per tank, acceleration. Not talking scientific accuracy just what a driver can sensibly monitor, record and feel.

I have ran my last 4 cars on it exclusively. (VW Lupo Gti, Golf iv Gti Turbo, Renault Clio 182, Ford Fiesta ST) and intend to continue with the Mito.

All 4 performed better using VP. All went further per tank, all picked up better when accelerating.

Jason the curious

·
Registered
179 Posts
Octane rating is effectively higher resistance to detonation (anti knock) which comes in handy for high compression engines with knock sensors linked to the ignition map.
Don't know enough about the MiTo engines yet to understand whether it would benefit from high octane fuel

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Morning Clive.

I know what you mean. No point quibbling over a few pence when you have spent £000s. I used to fill the tank each time, but with the ST I could sense/feel the difference in pace as the fuel level (weight) went down, so only started filling 1/2 way, yes fill more often but worth it. It makes a difference. Laws of physics etc.
Jason 25.5 hours and counting.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Someone pointed out that in order to reach the full 155BHP you have to be running 98RON (V-power?) and that if you run ordinary 95RON (normal?) you will only achieve 135-138BHP. I know nothing about how engines work/mechanical stuff but is there really that much difference in BHP when using normal fuel?!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is in the back of the owners manual, page 225 I think. It states if you want 155HP you need 98Ron fuel which is either V-power which is Ron99 or Tescos Super unleaded Ron 99....all other super unleaded fuel from other garages is Ron 97.

I use V-Power all the time for best performance and very happy paying the couple of pence extra on my 155TB.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I've run V-Power in my last three cars - not to boost performance or see an increased return in economy, but purely because I've always held an 'only the best for my pride and joy' kind of mentality.
Totally agree. Irrespective of performance and mpg, I consider V-Power simply a better quality petrol (extra detergents etc). I even use it in my lawnmowers!

·
Registered
702 Posts
V Power it is then! Mattaron/Fatsweaty have you noticed any difference in acceleration/fuel consumption from using V-power?

Cheers,

·
Registered
270 Posts
fuel consumption is definitely better for me by a fair bit roughly 3 or so miles per gallon more possibly more, i put in approx 45.6 litres and ran it to virtually fumes and i got 409 miles on the trip meter when i had to refill. Thats a 1.8TS 156 on mix of driving i pass through a town and then some A roads to get to work approx 28 mile round trip daily.

Performance wise its not blistering but it definitely has more urgency to it and is much more responsive. I am a complete convert now.:thumbs:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am sure for me the turbo boost gauge stays on maximum for me when foot down whilst using 99 V-power fuel....the odd time i have used Super Unleaded 97Ron I am sure the boost gauge goes to max and then drops down one bar...

Now I am not suggesting this is linked, just something I have noticed and do not understand LOL

·
Registered
2,281 Posts
fuel consumption is definitely better for me by a fair bit roughly 3 or so miles per gallon more possibly more, i put in approx 45.6 litres and ran it to virtually fumes and i got 409 miles on the trip meter when i had to refill. Thats a 1.8TS 156 on mix of driving i pass through a town and then some A roads to get to work approx 28 mile round trip daily.

Performance wise its not blistering but it definitely has more urgency to it and is much more responsive. I am a complete convert now.:thumbs:
What are you driving to get these results...if it is a 155 that is actually quite good...

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
Morning Clive.

I know what you mean. No point quibbling over a few pence when you have spent £000s. I used to fill the tank each time, but with the ST I could sense/feel the difference in pace as the fuel level (weight) went down, so only started filling 1/2 way, yes fill more often but worth it. It makes a difference. Laws of physics etc.
Jason 25.5 hours and counting.
I highly doubt you would feel the difference, it's probably just a psychological effect of you thinking it should feel faster.

Half a tank of fuel probably weighs bout 25kg depending on the size of your fuel tank, and there's no way you'd feel that difference unless you were in a go kart.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I also read somewhere that Shell V-power give even better figures in cars that use turbo's. I cant remeber where i read this but im pretty sure it was an artical comparing BP ultimate to Shell V-power. Dont know if this is true or not, im not a mechanical techy!

·
Registered
175 Posts
Totally agree. Irrespective of performance and mpg, I consider V-Power simply a better quality petrol (extra detergents etc). I even use it in my lawnmowers!
Did you notice any improvement in the 0-160 kph time for your lawnmower:? :cheese:

1 - 20 of 28 Posts