Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning folks....
I recently noticed that my 156 V6 had gone a little further in between fuel ups!
Then realised the only thing I had done differently was to use Shell V-Power instead of standard Unleaded!
So I carried out a little experiment over 6 tank fulls... Alternating between the two fuels!
On standard Unleaded I can get between 300 - 310 miles on approximately 58litres... Which equates to about 24mpg!
On V-Power I get between 340 - 350 miles on the same amount of fuel... Which equates to about 27mpg!
So it is actually proving to be cheaper overall to put the more expensive fuel in the car... Not by a massive amount but I now have a legitimate reason to fuel my Romeo on the best!
Has anyone else experienced this while using V-Power??? ;)

.... Rob....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I used V-Power (& before that Optimax) when I had my GTV and the figures you quote are about what I achieved. I also found that there was a small but noticeable improvement in mid-range response too - the quick accelerate to overtake on a motorway type scenario.

(I use V-Power diesel in the Brera at the moment and will certainly be using V-Power petrol when my GQV arrives.)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did also think the car felt... Well... Just a little bit sharper!
The car goes really well anyway so it is hard to say for sure! The throttle response is definately slightly improved!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I guess it's down to the higher octane. If I remember rightly V-Power is 99 (or maybe 100??) whereas ordinary unleaded is 95...

·
Registered
929 Posts
I guess it's down to the higher octane. If I remember rightly V-Power is 99 (or maybe 100??) whereas ordinary unleaded is 95...
Reports of this kind of gain aren't that uncommon even on cars with no knock sensor to provide feedback and so take advantage of any higher octane rating. Suggests for most purposes the higher octane rating is irrelevant. Although with a turbo there might well be a substantial gain, with a normally aspirated engine the gain from just advancing the ignition timing a little based on the feedback from a knock sensor will likely be minimal. And without adjusting the timing / boost / compression ratio the higher octane fuel gives no advantage at all.

All the best

Keith

1 - 5 of 5 Posts