Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just received our lecky bill. It's based on an estimate. They say:

All estimates are based on a historical pattern of consumption.
Yet in this bill they tell us that the electricity we have used for the billing period has increased by 80% compared to last year.

If it's based on the historical pattern then how can this be?

Their "estimate" really is complete rubbish - looking at the meter our actual consumption for the period has decreased by 20% compared to last year.

Before I fire off an email rant is there anyone who can please explain such audacity?

:rant:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
Greedy stards.

That's it explained.

Reactions: Paddy OPlastic

·
Registered
38,692 Posts
Thames Water under-estimated our bill 6 months ago, so this time we have a huge one now that they have read the meter. :furious:

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
They get the interest on my "credit" until next quarter. :furious:
Just enter the actual reading an pay what you owe. That's what we used to do. Gone to a smart meter now so it is all actuals.

·
Registered
14,827 Posts

·
Registered
14,827 Posts
How else are they expected to fund the UKs new nuclear power station?

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
When they've got a few hundred thousand customers at least, and they've got a few quid from each of them tied up in their account instead of the customers - it's a worthwhile amount even at 1% I'd think.

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Zactly.

Here's the email to their customer service:

Hello.

Our last invoice (number above) is based on your estimate of usage. The invoice helpfully explains that estimates are based on historical usage. It also cheerfully reports that our electricity usage has increased 80% compared to this period last year.

Clearly this estimate bears no relation to historical usage patterns. Indeed when I look at the actual meter reading I find that our usage has actually decreased 20% since last year.

We would like to offer you this opportunity to explain this enormous discrepancy and also offer you the opportunity to reissue the invoice for a sensible amount.

Regards,
Mr & Mrs O'Plastic

·
Registered
9,871 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Result!

The latest readings received show that the usage in your premise has lowered from that last actual reading. With this in mind I have cancelled the pending direct debit and requested that your bill be re-issued to these more accurate readings. You will receive this new bill in the coming days and a direct debit will automatically be set for 14 days afterwards.
Seems their definition of "historical usage pattern" is to look at the previous consumption rate and simply apply it to the current period even though it's pretty obvious we have electric heating and it's no longer winter. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
88,047 Posts
Winter is Coming :eek:

Maybe the billing department are fans of Game Of Thrones ;)

Result with the reissue of the direct debit :thumbs:

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
Result!

Seems their definition of "historical usage pattern" is to look at the previous consumption rate and simply apply it to the current period even though it's pretty obvious we have electric heating and it's no longer winter. :rolleyes:
I bet it bloody isn't. What do you think are the chances that their estimate for winter will be based on your summer usage?

·
Premium Member
4,860 Posts
I've got to admit to recently crapping my pants after a bloke came round to read the meters - metaphorically, hopefully.

You probably know that I'm a fabulous procrastinator and I couldn't be arsed giving online meter readings every month or so.

Surprisingly enough, the energy company have kept the DD's at the same amount.

Whether or not this means I've been screwed over in the first place, without realising, is a completely different matter.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
We stopped doing DD when the companies got a bit adventurous with billing. We referred back to quarterly online bills. This allows us to control the bill straightaway, by logging the meter reading if estimated and within an hour or so, get the correct bill to pay. I know this is a slightly dearer option, but at the end of the day, it doesn't involve utility companies getting interest on over estimated DD's. We don't have gas, so all electric. Our average leccy bill for a summer quarter is circa £90.00 and biggest quarter in winter £200.00. E-on insisted on a DD of £60.00 per month.:yikes:

·
Administrator
46,729 Posts
Is it more expensive?

I made the same change a couple of years back, and my quarterly bills have been less than 3x my previous monthly DDs every quarter so far - including over winter.

·
Registered
4,586 Posts
I pay DD and get a reduction in my bill for doing so. Standard practice I think? Never have a problem with them charging over the odds either. One occasion the water bill went mental but that's because the meter was read wrongly but a quick phone call put that right.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts