Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At normal travelling the temperature sits around 80 - 90 , but then in traffic,eg. town and idle it climbs to around 97-98 and the fan controls this back to 94 and so on does this tell me that the stat does not open enough? It does look like its a bit hot at idle?:rolleyes:

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Not bad really.
May be worth having a close look at your rad to look for blocked areas where the zig-zag fins are collapsing.

It isn't overheating though.

·
Premium Member
1,991 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks David, I wil keep an eye on it, the radiator might need a replace eventually.

·
Registered
472 Posts
i think its the start of a dying rad. just keep an eye on the temps.

redd

·
Registered
137 Posts
Alfapat

As davidc says look at the rad. They are made of mild steel and any leak/dribble will eventually corrode the fins let alone age and weather. Seen it lots on all sorts of the family's cars. Sons hot shot 106 now has a special alloy rad on it and this is the dog's b------s.

Nick

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
It is normal for the 156 rad to have lost most of its fins and be completely useless for cooling long before there are any leaks.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yep sounds like you need a new thermostat.
Agreed. A worn thermostat won't pop open at the right temp, and more importantly won't pop closed when the coolant temp drops below the right temp.
As you drive, the airflow over the rad cools the coolant to below optimal temp. The stat is supposed to close to recirculate water through the engine until it heats up again.
If the rad were blocked, you wouldn't be getting that temperature reduction at speed, because there wouldn't be enough surface area available to cool the liquid.
But definitely keep an eye on the front of the rad for blockages or leaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts