Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a notice come up on the dash a few weeks ago saying "Change the Oil".
It's the daughters car so never looks under the bonnet.

Went to the garage that looks after the car (last 30 years) when the bonnet was lifted I noticed that the coolant was at the bottom of it's container just above the hose.
So we topped it up with neat red coolant.
Now it seems as it's going down again.
It's in this garage for Service & MOT and to look at the coolant loss.

So what do you think.....it's done 40,000 miles

Head Gasket.
Water pump,
Radiator,
Air Lock (says he hopefully)

What are the probable costs for the above.
Red Leader One is online now Report Post

Sorry I put this in the wrong section. It's me who has the Guilletta

·
Registered
3,255 Posts
Before jumping to "worst case" trying looking to see if you see any coolant leaking, usually look for the pink antifreeze trail from somewhere.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Got the car back today.
They did a pressure test to 10bar no leak.
However at the back of the engine towards the top by using a mirror they think it might be leaking there under certain circumstances because there is a pink colour there.
We still have the CHANGE THE OIL light message on and the oil light is on.
The different drive modes don't function.
As it's a local garage I presume they may not have the correct computer keys or whatever they are called.
It goes back in next Tuesaday
Will keep you updated.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hi, I have a 2012 1.6 diesel too - recently had the 'change oil' warning which I did and had the light reset.

Just noticed tonight that my coolant was almost empty! No sign of leak but clearly something wrong. Oil looks okay with no sign of water contamination. I park in the same spot every day and never ever have any puddles/marks from a leak.

Do you have an update on what the issue was with yours? I'm pretty worried as I'm supposed to be driving almost 800 miles next week

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's been in since last Tuesday.

They think it may be leaking at the manifold area at the back.

Not a good advert for a car that's just out of warranty by a few months.

Disappointing.

Hoping it will be done this week otherwise it big problems for her to get to work she's on Easter school holiday at the minuet.

·
Registered
318 Posts
That doesn't sound good. I've still been using mine a little - keeping the coolant topped up although it hasn't moved much and keeping an eye for leaks/oil and everything looks okay but today I had a little smoke coming from under the bonnet so not using it now.

Keep me updated on the outcome of yours, will need to wait until next payday to take mine to the garage :(

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The garage have just come down to the house to show me the inlet manifold which they say is the problem they are all plastic. Couldn't see any cracks or owt so you have to trust them

£500 they are with gaskets plus another £500 labour.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts