Alfa Romeo Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Or do as I did which is make up an extension lead from flat profile 2 core cable over which you can close the boot and put the charger in the boot and just lead the extension from there to the garage.
Thanks bucketbot , take it you mean the mains supply ? Not sure about having the mains lead laying outside .

·
Registered
338 Posts
Yes but only the cable is outside so not a problem.
I have mine plugged into an outside IP66 socket and the other end is in the boot of course.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi , finally got my Ctek set up for my QV... does anyone know if I should be using the AGM setting on the charger ?

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
If you can select the mode it probably needs you to select the type of battery you have but we have an AGM battery in our car. I have the Official Alfa Romeo Ctek charger and don't have that option?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Thanks isotope, it has the option on the charger but wasn’t sure what type of battery was fitted on a QV as standard ...

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
My baby is currently on the ctek charger and hopefully I'm going to switch off the stop/start function at the weekend. If not then I will be claiming for a new battery

·
Registered
205 Posts
Mines in on Monday for a battery check , distorted fuel filler cover and software update . I’ve not had stop start ( not that I want it ) or HRW for months now ! ... when I connected the charger earlier it showed under 80% charge... so if I don’t see any improvement I too will be insisting on a new battery, still like to know what type of battery is fitted as standard on the QV if anyone knows?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Hi , finally got my Ctek set up for my QV... does anyone know if I should be using the AGM setting on the charger ?
Standard Alfa battery is an EFB type, so not AGM

Most people go for equivalent AGM when replacing though.

·
Registered
235 Posts
My CTEK charger/conditioner arrives today. [Different thread - HRW, seats etc came on after a decent journey. So too S/S (boo!)]
Assuming I can shut the boot with a mains cable powering the charger, can I lock/alarm the car when this is powered?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
My CTEK charger/conditioner arrives today. [Different thread - HRW, seats etc came on after a decent journey. So too S/S (boo!)]
Assuming I can shut the boot with a mains cable powering the charger, can I lock/alarm the car when this is powered?
yes. That's the way I use mine (locked+alarm)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I found that a decent sized mains cable needs to be put into the very edge of the bottom corner of either side of the boot lid to get the boot lid to close properly, anywhere on the bottom edge won't allow the bootlid to shut, I have a continental plug on my charger so use my Italian extension lead to plug it in and retain it's originality, I have one to get my music at the pool before anyone asks! Bearing in mind that the charger is converting 240VAC to something like 12VDC you don't need a huge cable to supply the charging current, so you can use a much smaller diameter mains cable to the charger or if you have a garage Ctek do a 2 wire 12Volt extension lead that you could use to have the charger outside of the car with just DC voltage going into the boot. I had my Giulia on the charger for 3 days and tonight the Stop Start worked every freaking minute I didn't want it to! The car isn't my daily driver so it may get better if I use it more often, in the meantime the charger will be a regular part of the cars maintenance.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on the conditioning option? Should I contemplate this right away (battery had two years of use and recent evidence that if wasn't 100%), once a year as recommended, every time - what would be the harm? - or not at all?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on the conditioning option? Should I contemplate this right away (battery had two years of use and recent evidence that if wasn't 100%), once a year as recommended, every time - what would be the harm? - or not at all?
basically whatever is convenient, and depending on how often you drive it ;)
However, there is no disadvantage to just keeping your car hooked up with f.i. the ctek, as it uses a smart maintenance mode, it will just keep your battery in prime condition.....

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I had my charger on the giulia for 4 days and it seems to have transformed the car, I'm not a fan of Start stop in an auto car but I get why they have done it. I much prefer the start stop on my manual Giulietta, clutch disengagement s are so much longer than pressing the brake pedal

·
Registered
205 Posts
Similar thing I noticed after having the Alfa assist guy out for a flat battery and he had disconnected it for a few minutes, initially the dash was going nuts .. every thing flashing .. but after it had settled down my car felt totally different... smoother running and gear changes in auto much smoother thought must be my imagination but maybe that had done something.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts