Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Evening, i have ordered a ctek charger to give my Giulia battery a boost, not gone flat but the stop / start and heated rear window have not worked for ages.

Do you have to disconnect the battery connections or just put the charger leads onto them leaving still connected??

Thanks bob

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Evening, i have ordered a ctek charger to give my Giulia battery a boost, not gone flat but the stop / start and heated rear window have not worked for ages.

Do you have to disconnect the battery connections or just put the charger leads onto them leaving still connected??

Thanks bob
No need to disconnect the battery. In fact, disconnecting the battery can cause many alarms to come on when battery is reconnected and time will be needed for things to settle down.

The CTEK normally comes with a set of tails which you can leave connected and just plug the charger into the tails when needed.

I've only needed to use my CTEK with the Giulia a few times and just made temporary connections in the engine bay. So I'm not sure how easily the tails can be connected to the battery on this car. Worked fine on my 156 GTA.

Andy

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Andy, in the engine bay?? I was afraid that dissconnecting the leads would make the car go mental, lol

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
The manual says to charge on the battery. Under the bonnet connection is for jump starting only.
Remove the plastic cover over the positive terminal on the battery and connect to that and then there's a nut next to the negative terminal. Connect to that. If you don't do it this way the Intelligent Battery Sensor won't know you're topping the battery up.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have mine connected in the boot directly to the battery via the quick connect pigtail that comes with it.

I just connect it inside the boot when in use and just use a flat 2 core cable extension for the power supply so I can close the boot with it connected.
More than enough room in the rubber seal to accommodate the cable and I have been using it like that for over a year.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did almost the same as @jwq only I used that square hole that you can see in his photo combined with a pair of very large washers and a nut and bolt to secure the neg lead to the bodywork.
Didn’t need to scrape off any paint, it works fine.
Charged my battery last weekend and the stop start is working this week for the first time in months.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I fitted mine last week, the same way as bucket. jwq & D4VE way is a good way to do also. After i done mine as i loosened the negative cable i had all sorts of lights on the dash come on but after shutting the car down overnight everything was back to normal in the morning.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tangentially related, has anyone tried one of those solar battery chargers that apparently charge through the OBD port or something?

My daily commute is 15mi each way on a motorway but that's apparently not enough to top up the battery for start/stop which is a little disappointing :(

Was just thinking I could top it up while it's parked in the sun at work now that it is sunny again!

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Tangentially related, has anyone tried one of those solar battery chargers that apparently charge through the OBD port or something?

My daily commute is 15mi each way on a motorway but that's apparently not enough to top up the battery for start/stop which is a little disappointing :(

Was just thinking I could top it up while it's parked in the sun at work now that it is sunny again!
The charging current of these panels is usually very low, won't make much of a contribution.
Also a lot of the sockets (lighter, usb etc) are switched off after ignition off, so can't be used. Not sure about OBD.
(a lot of the active circuits in giulia switch off after a certain timeperiod, upto half an hour....)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The charging current of these panels is usually very low, won't make much of a contribution.
Also a lot of the sockets (lighter, usb etc) are switched off after ignition off, so can't be used. Not sure about OBD.
(a lot of the active circuits in giulia switch off after a certain timeperiod, upto half an hour....)
How does the big black cover come off of the positive pole to expose the fuses etc. I had a quick look tonight but it was dark and not very obvious?

·
Registered
744 Posts
How does the big black cover come off of the positive pole to expose the fuses etc. I had a quick look tonight but it was dark and not very obvious?
Two little clips on the side to the rear of the car. Just push them forward and ease the cover upwards.

One of the main cables might get in the way slightly.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Looking at the photos that have been posted and the advice in the manual, shouldn't the charger be connected to the negative battery clamp post so that the charger is connected to the battery and then the IBS. I also get it if the negative body lead goes straight to a body/engine earth but the 8mm terminals lend themselves to just go on the battery post clamps imho?

·
Premium Member
6,908 Posts
Looking at the photos that have been posted and the advice in the manual, shouldn't the charger be connected to the negative battery clamp post so that the charger is connected to the battery and then the IBS. I also get it if the negative body lead goes straight to a body/engine earth but the 8mm terminals lend themselves to just go on the battery post clamps imho?
No, connecting directly to the negative battery pole would bypass the IBS monitor, which monitors the current going in/out of the negative battery pole to keep track of the State Of Charge of the battery.
You could connect to a screw behind the IBS monitor, but connecting the negative charger unit to ground assures the current is monitored, easy to make the connection and impossible to make a mistake with the connection. ;)

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
No, connecting directly to the negative battery pole would bypass the IBS monitor, which monitors the current going in/out of the negative battery pole to keep track of the State Of Charge of the battery.
You could connect to a screw behind the IBS monitor, but connecting the negative charger unit to ground assures the current is monitored, easy to make the connection and impossible to make a mistake with the connection. ;)
As always thanks for your help! I'll have a go at this in the morning, I just got the Alfa branded charger and it says Ctek all over it.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hi, my QV had been left for a week and would not start yesterday, car unlocked with the fob but would not start and the dash display just went mental .. every warning light flashing, numerous fault messages flashing up, dial needles spinning up and down. I called out Alfa assist and the guy jump started it using the connections under the bonnet and after a few starts and a short run all was back to normal.
I have now purchased a Ctek charger and I have a question regarding connection if anyone can help?
I plan to have it so the cables are permanently connected to the battery as jwq and I want to keep the charger body itself inside the garage with the charging lead coming out under the garage door to the car, problem is I don't think that will be long enough to reach the tail ends in the boot. Do you think it would be ok to extend the leads either at the battery end or the lead from the charger? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Hi, my QV had been left for a week and would not start yesterday, car unlocked with the fob but would not start and the dash display just went mental .. every warning light flashing, numerous fault messages flashing up, dial needles spinning up and down. I called out Alfa assist and the guy jump started it using the connections under the bonnet and after a few starts and a short run all was back to normal.
I have now purchased a Ctek charger and I have a question regarding connection if anyone can help?
I plan to have it so the cables are permanently connected to the battery as jwq and I want to keep the charger body itself inside the garage with the charging lead coming out under the garage door to the car, problem is I don't think that will be long enough to reach the tail ends in the boot. Do you think it would be ok to extend the leads either at the battery end or the lead from the charger? Thanks in advance.
CTEK do an extension lead specific to your requirements.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Or do as I did which is make up an extension lead from flat profile 2 core cable over which you can close the boot and put the charger in the boot and just lead the extension from there to the garage.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts