Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided to give it a go following the 'improved fuel economy' spiel on the bottle (surely just the lower friction effects of a slightly less viscous lubricant?). After checking the manual and taking into account the low temperatures in the english winters I thought it couldn't hurt. (Again, lower ambiant temperatures compensating for the thinner oil I guess..)

Has anyone else tried it? Found any problems? The specific brand is Castrol GTX Magnatec. So far my Juliette is running like a swiss watch on it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
5w30 should be fine here in the UK. ive heard a few on here prefer it to the recommended 10w40. you shouldnt have any problems

·
Registered
30,162 Posts
5w30 is only recommended for VERY cold climates.
It may feal cold in the UK at the moment, but it isn't that cold!

·
Registered
8,063 Posts
Would be interested to see if there is any difference in oil consumption.

Surely 30 is a bit low as the engine still runs at the same temperature once it is warmed up - only the 5w affects the cold viscosity?

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
cj romeo said:
Wouldnt be me in the UK.

10W40 or 10W60

Yeah i'd stick with the recommended grades. Having said that, i've just gone for a 10w/50 which is neither but I figured it was between the two!

Btw, the 5w/30 is always recommended for Ford Zetecs for some reason.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
The oil is thinner, will it provide sufficient engine protection? The viscosity figures are arrived at by Alfa Romeo after extensive testing, knowing stresses and loads on each part of the engine.

Alfa recommend 10w60 for hard use, 10w40 for normal use. Personally I'd stick to one of those.

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
Alfa recommend 10w60 for hard use said:
that says it all !!! don't think you know better than the factory :tut:

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rarebear said:
that says it all !!! don't think you know better than the factory :tut:
In the user manual the chart shows that below 15-10 degrees centigrade 5W/30 is fine. Therefore in the winter conditions here I shall give it a go. :p

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
5/30 is for harsh climates! It was in my 156 when I first had it (serviced by the dealer). Oil consumption was through the roof. Changed to 10/60 SElenia recing and now doen to 250ml per 1000 hard driven miles :)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Squadrone Rosso said:
5/30 is for harsh climates! It was in my 156 when I first had it (serviced by the dealer). Oil consumption was through the roof. Changed to 10/60 SElenia recing and now doen to 250ml per 1000 hard driven miles :)
Where do you get your Selenia from mate?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts