Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My car failed car testing for a blow in exhaust system; had a new stainless custom system put in but the back boxes are way to loud for my liking - I really do want to go back to stock as possible. The noise at the moment really takes from my car. :( The exhaust guys have offered to swap in a bigger mid box but I think they are just experimenting.

I can't get back-boxes for my Alfa 159 2.2 JTS Ti locally here in Ireland : but I can pick up a set for the 2.4Mjet - do you think this is a good / bad idea?

The exhaust guys here say that that can connect the current plumbing to pretty much anything.

Or does anyone know where I buy a new set of boxes. The local Alfa dealer can quote for a set of originals but they are >1100.

Thanks again

Cathal

Attachments

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
I would think that they are all pretty much interchangeable....they certainly all fit.....£1100 ouch! Lots cheaper on eBay and the like. Lots of restrictive compression bends in your nice pipework there. I wont use an exhaust place that doesn't use a mandrel to bend the pipe....you don't lose any cross section or flow that way like with compression bends.

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your reply; I think it's time to go back for cash back....

the place came recommended from a friend with some tasty cars; I didn't get the royal treatment it looks like.

Gutted over this wreck of a system.

Cheers
Cathal

EDIT: after telephoning a few places today I've been told the 2.4 and 2.2 boxes are not interchangeable. They do look very similar . The 2.2 ones are in short supply too.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had my backboxes on my 2.2 Spider removed completely when I had my stainless system put on,but like you way to loud.
However I had a bigger middle box put in and it’s now just right, bit more throaty from stock but not to loud with the roof down

1 - 4 of 4 Posts