Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have anyone else noticed this?? Most of the time when we are crawling along on the highway, a quick peek to the front of the cue reveals a Hyundai Atos (or the I10) with kilometers of space between it and the car in front of it... grrrrr :rant:

Why can't they ban that crap from the roads or at least from the fast lane where we normal drivers fly??

Ok that was my first ranting and raving on the forums so please excuse me for it...

A

·
0 Posts
The majority of people simply cannot drive. They have no sense of driving, are ignorant or just plain stupid. And that's what causes congestion. That, coupled with slow a** cars, like the Atos. I often dream about highways specially built for my use only.:rant:

·
Registered
10,929 Posts
I get that too, Chery QQ's, Chevy Sparks, etc. Whatever has a 0.8L engine, is always in front of me with a mile between them and the next car:rant:

I worked out in the country for several years before, and there was ZERO traffic. Now every morning I ask myself what I was thinking when I came back to Cape Town...:confused:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I flash my lights like the BM drivers, they always seem to move out the way, or I ride up behind them untill they move over, I dont mind people driving slow, but they must do it in the slow lane.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Ok that was my first ranting and raving on the forums so please excuse me for it...
Some useless info for you guys, did you know there is no such thing as a "fast lane"?
It a lane described as an "over taking lane", just some useless information...

I flash my lights like the BM drivers, they always seem to move out the way, or I ride up behind them untill they move over, I dont mind people driving slow, but they must do it in the slow lane.
No, no, no...
No flashing...
I always drive with my lights on and that usually works for me, however, take it like this...
Dip the clutch, right toe on brakes so you slide up behind them, then right heel hits pedal! :D vrooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooom!!!!!!!!!
:cheese:
Nice "wake up call" for old them..
:)
Or when I'm at the pedestrian crossing, wat for them to be in the middle, give it a rev, wakes them up nicely...
:cheese:

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Geez - an Atos at altitude must be hell! It is indeed an overtaking lane! And it's so many people who stay there even when they're going slower than the trucks in the left-hand lane. I flash politely and give hazards with our other cars once I've passed, but with the Junior I have to wave a thank you. Just doing my bit to make sure we don't get the same rep as the BMW-drivers...

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
you have to flash them and I do say thanks once I've passed them,but I reckon half these morons don't see anything wrong with driving Miss Daisy on the fast lane.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Flash?? Oh puhleez... I don't flash. I just drive so close to their bumpers that they can't see my badge. Then it's them getting all nervous, almost roll the car into the next lane and then the fingers start. That's usually my cue for a nice smile and wave :)

I say thanks when I don't have to force them out of the way... And for me it's not an overtaking lane... IT'S MY LANE!! Made just for me and my precious Alfa!!! :D

·
Registered
459 Posts
Actually the thing that really bothers me is all the hilux/cressida that run around at half of the relevant speed limit. Usually these cars are complete wrecks. We often think they are driving miss daisy, but having worked in the motor industry, I know this is untrue. The scary part is that in many cases, they are driving at that speed as the vehicle is simply UNDRIVABLE at any speed higher!!!!!!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Generaly speaking I drive faster than most of the cars on the highway. I've done the aggressive, drive up everyones @sses bit, nowdays it just seems like driving like that is kinda pointless because it just makes them feel that they are now the one who is not breaking the law, and they stay in the right lane longer. If someone is infront of me I will weave left to right a couple of times, I promise you it gets their attention better than driving up their tailpipe and if they are of the arrogant aggresive type they cant slam on brakes and try to cause an accident. There are obviosly some slow cars that think they own the right hand lane.. they get passed on the left and forgotten as quick as they dissapear in my rearview mirror.

·
Registered
4,740 Posts
Flash?? Oh puhleez... I don't flash. I just drive so close to their bumpers that they can't see my badge. Then it's them getting all nervous, almost roll the car into the next lane and then the fingers start. That's usually my cue for a nice smile and wave :)

I say thanks when I don't have to force them out of the way... And for me it's not an overtaking lane... IT'S MY LANE!! Made just for me and my precious Alfa!!! :D
Guilty as charged here as well :eek:

Actually the thing that really bothers me is all the hilux/cressida that run around at half of the relevant speed limit. Usually these cars are complete wrecks. We often think they are driving miss daisy, but having worked in the motor industry, I know this is untrue. The scary part is that in many cases, they are driving at that speed as the vehicle is simply UNDRIVABLE at any speed higher!!!!!!
I so know the feeling....

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
AM, you can't always pass left when there's the traffic on the other lane, then what do you do? sit and wait?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
This is true.

We do get used to having the power and performance to drive at any legal speed we like and much faster over the limit is also available. It really sucks balls, to not be able to catch the guy in front of you. :(

My first car was slow like that. I had to live in the slow lane. It was just dangerous at 120km/h, if you could get it to go that fast. Then you don't have the power to overtake when you do need to. It's also guarantied, that if you try to pass a truck or the like, you end up with a BM up your *** flashing his lights and stuff. :mad:

Well at least it was like that when I got it. After a few years I was giving those BM toss pots lessons in power to weight ratio's. :D That has to be on of the best feeling in the world, when some arrogant BMD, double takes because you’re still next to him. The look of awe/horror on the face is always priceless. :thumbs:

·
Registered
665 Posts
AM, you can't always pass left when there's the traffic on the other lane, then what do you do? sit and wait?
If he is faster than the left lane traffic then you have to wait?? Duh? Where must he go to let you pass.. If he is slower then you pull in to the left lane and pass him..
To pull into left lane traffic to pass:
1. you need to have a bit of a following distance
2. Indicate with the little lever on the steering that has little arrows on it.
3. Accelerate so you enter the left lane at the same speed as the other cars.
4. Make sure that when you accelerate and move into the left lane you pass the knob infront of you as close as you can so he kak's himself. :cheese:

The big thing that really get me is that people don't know or even appreciate the benefit of a following distance, never mind the safety aspect. By driving up someones @ss and him driving up the guy infronts @ss you actually lower the average speed of the traffic because people slow down when theres no gap between the cars, because you dont know what the guy in front could do. When you know exactly what the guy infront does (Like in a race or in convoy) you can increase your speed without having a big gap.

Even the most basic driver training course (Defensive or offensive) teaches you this.
Lecture over..:lol:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
I'm sure I've posted this before.

BASIC RULES FOR DRIVING IN GAUTENG

1. Turn signals will give away your next move. A real Gauteng driver never uses them.

2. Under no circumstance should you leave a safe distance between you and the car in front of you, or the space will be filled by two Golfs, a BMW and an Uno, putting you in an even more dangerous situation.

3. The faster you drive through a red light, the smaller the chance you have of getting hit.

4. Never, ever come to a complete stop at a stop sign. No one expects it and it will only result in you being rear-ended.

5. Braking is to be done as hard and late as possible to ensure that your ABS kicks in, giving you a nice, relaxing foot massage as the brake pedal pulsates. For those of you without ABS, it’s a chance to stretch your legs.

6. Never pass on the right when you can pass on the left. It’s a good way to check if the people entering the highway are awake.

7. Speed limits are arbitrary figures, given only as a guideline. They are especially not applicable in Gauteng during rush hour. That’s why it’s called ‘rush hour…’.

8. Just because you’re in the right lane and have no room to speed up or move over doesn’t mean that a Gauteng driver flashing his high beams behind you doesn’t think he can go faster in your spot.
lol :p

9. Always slow down and rubberneck when you see an accident or even someone changing a tire. Never stop to help - you will be mugged.

10. Learn to swerve abruptly. Gauteng is the home of the high-speed slalom driving thanks to the Road Works Department, which puts holes in key locations to test drivers’ reflexes and keep them on their toes.

11. It is traditional in Gauteng to honk your horn at cars that don’t move the instant the light turns green. This prevents storks from building nests on top of the traffic light and minahs from making deposits on your car.

12. Remember that the goal of every Gauteng driver is to get there first by whatever means necessary.

13. In the Gauteng area, “flipping someone the bird” is considered a polite Gauteng salute. This gesture should always be returned.

14. On average, at least three cars can still go through an intersection after the light has turned red. It’s people not adhering to this basic principal that cause the big traffic jams during rush hour.

15. A solid white line is the same as a staggered line in Gauteng. The Metro Police Department just have to save paint to buy new cars for all the new directors. A solid white line next to a staggered line means they have sorted the directors out and the paint contract has been awarded to their wives

·
Registered
459 Posts
Unfortunately there is too much truth in that for it to be funny!!!!

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
Pretty funny, Alfi! But seriously, driving up someone's crack is dangerous for everybody. I think a flash from a three-second distance is sufficient to alert someone that you need to use the lane to overtake. Patience, gentlemen, patience! Our cars are not metal penises... If you have the space, go for it - if not, relax, man! No meeting is that important!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts