Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week or so back my parents received a V5 document for a Punto, registered to their address with the named driver no one they know. They contacted the DVLA and need to send it back, with the post strikes leaving it to this weekend. As well as this they contacted Kent police, should anything happen involving this car. Kent police did what you would expect, and took down the deatails to pass on to their traffic division.

Roll on this week, and sure enough a fixed penalty notice and £100 fine have turned up for the Punto. This taking place in Sidcup, which is under the met police control. So after contacting DVLA again, my Mum calls Sidcup police. Their response? We can't do anything it has to go through DVLA. My Mum points out her concern should anything more serious happen involving the punto. The response now? well we'll have to come round to you :rolleyes:

And the police wonder why they have no respect? My Dad knows someone in Kent police, and apparently as you would expect what the met should have done (as kent did) was taken note and it would have flagged up on any ANPR checks etc.

How f***** lazy are they :mad:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe it's bad luck, but when I have required the police, they have been next to useless, and when I don't want their attention, they pull me over for 'show plates', so I can understand the frustration of yourself and your parents.

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Maybe it's bad luck, but when I have required the police, they have been next to useless, and when I don't want their attention, they pull me over for 'show plates', so I can understand the frustration of yourself and your parents.
Obviously "show plates" are one step away from being a mass murderer :lol:

·
Premium Member
19,119 Posts
Well they are to busy worrying about their targets so the don't get told off by the shambles we call a government

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Arent "show plates" those plates that do not comply with the Construction and Use Regulations and are therefore, technically illegal, and by definition subject to Police scrutiny?

If you don't want the attention...........:)

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Sorry, I think you're over-reacting here. I guess I can kind of understand your frustration, but its not really that big a deal, is it?

Your parents won't have to pay the fine as the car isn't registered to them, will they?

OK, it might take a few phone calls to sort out but surely the scumbag who's tried to pull a fast one is the one you should be ranting about, not the police?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I think you're over-reacting here. I guess I can kind of understand your frustration, but its not really that big a deal, is it?

Your parents won't have to pay the fine as the car isn't registered to them, will they?

OK, it might take a few phone calls to sort out but surely the scumbag who's tried to pull a fast one is the one you should be ranting about, not the police?
Sorry, I feel especially from the bears post elsewhere this has been misunderstood.

It is more about the police not using the technology they have available. One thing the police do that I agree with is the ANPR system, in not doing anything to update their records should the scumbag drive through a check nothing will happen, to them it is registered at my folks and so be it.

If they bothered to pass the information on they stand a chance of catching them. And you have to ask why they have registered their vehicle to a false address.

·
Registered
3,299 Posts
Hmm, I don't know how it works so can't say for sure, but I wouldn't be surprised to find that it is a more complicated thing to do than it appears to you and I.

For instance, I doubt that the police can do anything without an updated record from the DVLA - after all, they don't control vehicle registrations. The DVLA in turn will probably need some sort of form filling in or statement made to the effect that the person named on the V5 doesn't in fact live at that address before they will update their records.

As I said, I kinda understand it is frustrating but generally these things are set up in a way that is best for the majority (believe it or not), but that inevitably means some cases end up being long-winded.

Anyway, I hope they get it sorted out soon and with the minimum of fuss :)

·
Registered
54,872 Posts
A few years ago I was dealing with the DVLA putting together a Reg no. lookup software
application. It was quite disturbing to discover that their data was, at best, only 40%
accurate :eek:

Not sure I should have told you that ;) :lol:

·
Registered
10,884 Posts
If they bothered to pass the information on they stand a chance of catching them. And you have to ask why they have registered their vehicle to a false address.
You have got it in 1 EddieGTA.

If there is something suspicious you report it to the POLICE.

When you do as in this case..its your luck who you get...shouldn't but it is,they ask why are you phoning us...they pass the buck...Unless things have changed the Police had their own PNC police national computer full of what should be accurate uptodate info in essence as supplied by you to catch the "bad guy".The DVLA database takes EONS to update unlike the PNC.

Perhaps the DATA PROTECTION ACT has eroded all common sense.

Hope it resolves itself for you soon.Esp before they issue warrants for your parents arrest.(That was I hope a joke).:wow:IIRC has happenned in the past.:wow:

Pomeo

edit Its not a flase address...Its a genuine one....Have you checked the street for the car?

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You have got it in 1 EddieGTA.

If there is something suspicious you report it to the POLICE.

When you do as in this case..its your luck who you get...shouldn't but it is,they ask why are you phoning us...they pass the buck...Unless things have changed the Police had their own PNC police national computer full of what should be accurate uptodate info in essence as supplied by you to catch the "bad guy".The DVLA database takes EONS to update unlike the PNC.

Perhaps the DATA PROTECTION ACT has eroded all common sense.

Hope it resolves itself for you soon.Esp before they issue warrants for your parents arrest.(That was I hope a joke).:wow:IIRC has happenned in the past.:wow:

Pomeo

edit Its not a flase address...Its a genuine one....Have you checked the street for the car?
Thanks Pomeo :thumbs:

Like I say the guys my folks got at kent police were on the ball, and the time I called them when I thought a house was being broken into a car was there in under 10 mins. I am just a bit shocked that this is "THE MET" who look after London, and this is the attitide they present.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts