Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

New here. I am more than likely going to be purchasing an Alfa GT in the very near future (I've been drooling over them for years), probably a JTD.

I am going to be buying used as I have a fairly tight budget and can't afford a new one, however I have a question about what is better as options for used:

- High mileage, but 1-2 years old, or
- Low mileage, but 3-4 years old.

I have seen 2 in the market both are as above, although the low mileage older car is cheaper and therefore more attractive from a financial perspective.

What are the pros and cons of both options (i.e. which one is more likely to go wrong and cost me money!)? I'll probably go Alfa approved used so I get warranty / dealer support etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, forgot to mention, I only do about 10k miles a year, commuting to work mostly, not a great deal of motorway miles.

Also be interested to know people's opinion on which one will hold its value better? I tend to change my cars every couple of years.

G

·
0 Posts
With so little mileage you might be better off getting a 2.0 JTS. There's some bargains out there. Just sold mine with 40k for £8500. You may have more room to negotiate with traders due to the fact bigger engined petrol cars aren't selling as well as diesels

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'd rather go for a diesel. Am coming from an Audi S4 (V8) which did about 170 miles to a tank, so looking forward to doing 400+ miles to a tank this time round!

I like the torque of the diesel as well.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Graham - I noticed from your link that your GT had tan Leather - how did it age / wear? I love the tan (but in black exterior), but people keep telling me that it starts looking crap after a couple of years and stains if you wear dark jeans when driving after you've been out in the rain!

G

·
0 Posts
Mine looks great. I always wear dark jeans and have had no issues. It still looks brand new in the back. I must add it's the most comfortable car seats I have ever known

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Condition of the exterior & interior, then mileage, then age IMHO.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have there been any facelifts/updates/refreshes etc to the GT over its lifetime.
eg does a newer one have a better standard spec than an older one, for instance?
Matt.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
awesome car - just what I'm after. 1st choice is black with red seats, but they're so rare.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Ah 'whatmoretyres' I hate posts like yours. I saw my GT and just bought it. Did no research and did not even appreciate that they did different coloured leather interiors. I try to appreciate my alfatex interior and then you post pictures of your bootiful tan interior and it makes me so envious. I should have waited and got the right one.

In my opinion wait and go for the high spec. Bose, red or tan leather, decent wheels. I have to make do with the standard sound system, alfatex and I had to pay top dollar privately for the 17" wheels I wanted. These diesels go on for ever but GT's are so easy to damage. I have dents on both doors from a$*wipes in car parks and the dent menders I have spoken to tell me GT's are very hard to mend (with their poking tools) due to the construction of the doors and the angles formed. Check real good.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Ah 'whatmoretyres' I hate posts like yours. I saw my GT and just bought it. Did no research and did not even appreciate that they did different coloured leather interiors. I try to appreciate my alfatex interior and then you post pictures of your bootiful tan interior and it makes me so envious. I should have waited and got the right one.

In my opinion wait and go for the high spec. Bose, red or tan leather, decent wheels. I have to make do with the standard sound system, alfatex and I had to pay top dollar privately for the 17" wheels I wanted. These diesels go on for ever but GT's are so easy to damage. I have dents on both doors from a$*wipes in car parks and the dent menders I have spoken to tell me GT's are very hard to mend (with their poking tools) due to the construction of the doors and the angles formed. Check real good.

Sorry! :D

fwiw, I found the right spec was impossible to find, so:

I bought my second/third choice colour
my second/third choice interior
missed on Bose and Winter pack

because when it came down to it, price and condition/history was significantly more important... to me :)

·
Registered
171 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts