Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am looking for some advice and dare i say it reassurance with regard the alfa romeo GT. I currently have a TDI Golf which i use for work and do a significant amount of miles. I am looking to get something more classy and my first choice is a used 05 JTD GT. However i have heard from people that alfa's are constantly in the garage needing work. This would be unacceptable due to work commitments etc...

I saw a thread with a guy saying the car boot rattles and wheel bearings making noise etc... I have never had issues with the VW's Ive had and am worried ill be stuck with a car that looks good but is a pain. All reports and feedback would be appreciated:D

·
Administrator
60,450 Posts
Hi Ryan, welcome to this great site. If you post your q in the tech or general alfa section more people will see your q and be able to help you out. Cheers:)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I owned a GT 1.9JTD from January 05 (bought new then) to October 06. It never gave any trouble and was a great car. Used to get 44mpg. Reason I sold it was I was just to afriad to dent it and found myself not using it much - I have other cars too. :)

·
Registered
11,614 Posts
Hi Mate welcome, Go for it cool looks, not many about, the diesel doesn't require the cambelt change until 72,000, as with any car you can have problems, should all be covered under warranty anyway.

M

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AO Ryan. I think the GT's are proving to be very reliable.:)

·
Registered
6,451 Posts
Welocme to AO, get the GT ,you won't regret it :)

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Hi Ryan and welcome! :D

So far, 8 months ownership, 10k miles and the worst I can say is the radio reception is pretty rubbish and the manual doesn't fit into the glovebox.

I've had problem-free and grin inducing driving so can only talk positively about GT JTDownership. I changed from a GTV V6 to a GT to cope with the mileage I do and have not regretted the decision - based on my current circumstances, (I'd have a 3.2 if I was commuting more locally!).

BTW - I had the boot rattle, but it was fixed without fuss or bother under warranty.

Have a test drive - there's no doubt you'll be smitten. Alfa ownership doesn'y have to purely be a heart of head decision anymore (let the sceptics continue driving their soul-less, clinical rep favourites) - enjoy the relative exclusivity of one of the best looking coupes on the road today.

Halelujah!! :lol:

:D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input. I'm off on Saturday to have a test drive and I'll let you know about my decision and what i think.:) :)

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
I don't have the JTD, but I'm sure the build quality is the same. I've had a few very small problems, the main one no fault of Alfa at all, but dodgy fuel. The others were to do with the dealer rather than the car.

I think if you're getting an 05 plate, then any delivery niggles will probably have been resolved, so you should be ok.

I had similar worries to you when I ordered a GT initially - one of the reasons I joined this site - but they have all been unfounded and I have not had one regret since buying the GT - quite the opposite :D

Go for it, you won't regret it either :)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I know mine is not a diesel, and I know I am now in danger of hexing myself, but so far in the 27 months of ownership, the car has been superb with no reliability issues at all.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Ryan, I've had my GT JTD 5 months and covered just under 7k. No reliability problems at all. Had the rattle but think it's gone now. Dealers not the best but also dealt with a Merc dealer recently who were crap! Economy's ok, I stupidly had a Megane 1.9 Dci before the GT which averaged about 5 mpg better. Drive the GT for 5 mins and you won't care about 5 or 50 mpg!!!;) In my opinion, GO FOR IT!!:)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Had my GT (2.0 JTS) for 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles before I changed it in for a Brera. Had almost no trouble apart from a few minor things that you might expect over 30,000 miles and would definitely recommend it. Go for it!

·
Registered
90 Posts
mikeyw said:
How does the Brera compare Shad ?
Completely different. It feels heavier and more solid, despite the smaller size. The ride and interior make it feel much "sportier" than the GT, and I actually find it more fun to drive. Technologically, it's definitely the "next generation" as compared to the GT, but it's ridiculously impractical. The rear seats are almost unusable due to lack of legroom - I can fit one person behind the passenger seat at a squeeze, if the passenger seat is pushed forward, the boot is small, with a very high lip, and there aren't many pockets for oddments of a useful size. Fortunately, I can live with all those problems as my wife has a RAV4. I found the GT a hugely enjoyable car to own and drive and have no hesitation recommending it. Which would I buy if I was buying again tomorrow? Definitely the Brera. Test drive both - I don't think you'll regret buying either of them.

Allan

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks for all your comments, I too have my eye on a GT 1.9 jtdm and I was going to ask a similar question. I feel a lot more confident now.
Thanks again

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mooney174 said:
Thanks for all your comments, I too have my eye on a GT 1.9 jtdm and I was going to ask a similar question. I feel a lot more confident now.
Thanks again
Most of what goes wrong seems to be of the niggling variety (rattles, etc.). The horror stories re. Alfa reliability I heard before I picked mine up in the summer have been totally unfounded.

If you have patience to get any niggles sorted out (assuming the car even has any) you'll get yourself a cracking car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts