Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello chaps, I currently have a giulietta and it's great, but I'm handing it off to the wife and I'm seriously looking at getting one of my all time favourites the GT, so I was looking for any sort of check list that may exist when checking out used examples. What to look for kind.of things, what's a deal breaker and what's not a big deal. Or if you goes could point me.in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Cheers.

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
There's a sticky on the top of the 156,147,gt page with common faults. Remember the gt is an old car now. It will be cheap to buy but expect it to need constant care and attention. Your wife might get jealous.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which engine?
my god im a moron. i didn't see the sticky.
But to give a little extra info, it would be the JTS 2.0 i believe.
Now im expat in spain, so it's been in a warm climate all it's life.
140,000km on the clock so around about 87,000 miles.
I'll look at the sticky, tho im not afraid of a the maintenance stuff. i expect it from an older car so im not worried about that. Had a 190e in the past which was a bit of a pain in the back side with little niggles here and there, but such is life with an old machine.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Coil packs seems to be the main issue with the 2.0 JTS engine wise. Other than that the GT has the odd electrical issues meaning the windows and boot sometimes don't work, usually the window switch, just unplugging it works for me and damaged sills due to careless jacking up of the car. The suspension can be a bit frail too.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Like any 156 or GT of that mileage bushes will need to have been replaced at 50-60k. ARB, upper lower wishbones on front and transverse arms/hub bush at the back. Rust, although less of an issue where you are.

D

·
0 Posts
Damaged sills are another favorite because some people don't know how to jack properly and place the jack on the sill.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts