Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apologies if this is common knowledge, or a regular post!

I'm going to be buying a Giulietta 1.4 TB in the the very near future, and I'm not sure if I'd be better off with an older car (11 plate) with lower mileage (32k), or a newer car (65 plate) with higher mileage (63k)? I'm mainly looking at it from a maintenance cost perspective, it'll be a family car with a fun edge. I'm coming from a 57 plate Honda Civic, which is nice if a little dull - at 90k it's showing that it's tired.

I'll be doing about 5-6k miles per year, mixed driving (short trips, motorway runs, spirited country drives).

Thanks in advance!
Mike

·
Premium Member
42,896 Posts
Hi Mike, having owned both an 11 plate and 16 plate Giulietta I'd be opting for the 65 plate. If it has all the relevant service history it's the better car imo (y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Mike, having owned both an 11 plate and 16 plate Giulietta I'd be opting for the 65 plate. If it has all the relevant service history it's the better car imo (y)
Thanks Brad, I did try to edit the post to say that both have all the features I'm after, and a full service history. Thank you for your input(y)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Mike definitely the 65the 65 has bigger front seats as I recall Don’t expect it to be as reliable as a Honda though!😀
Wow, thanks Steve, I'd assumed they would be the same! I thought the Honda would be bombproof, but it's no better than my previous cars (Seat & Ford). I was thinking about a Beamer (Dad had one for 17 years, 100k on the clock when he bought it!)... but BMWs are rubbish, aren't they? Just, no appeal! :D

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Obviously the never one as there as some improvements , but in both cases service history and not just on KM traveled but rather time , a service once a year is important
Mine is a Jan 2012 yes almost 10 years old now and has 78k on KM not miles problems so far
Rear hatch replaced wiring loom
Fuelfiller cap fixed myself
Passenger air bag compartment is blown up (but not broken yet)
Had a lot of fault codes after around 75k so replaced battery but a few month later they came back , cleaned the MA filter and fine for now
Suspension is making a bit of noise when cold so may need to check soon
That is all ,not bad for a 10 year car
I still have the original brake pads front is fine but rear looks close to being changed amazing this is my first car that brake pads last 80k on , I have owned many Alfas and other cars in my 43 years driving

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so far guys, the newer car makes sense as while it may be more mechanically worn, it's the non-mechanical "wear" that makes you fall out of love with a car, and the older car is more likely to suffer with

·
Registered
39,317 Posts
I would go for a newer higher mileage car over an older lower mileage one any time.

The older one will more likely to have done lots of short trips, which are worse for the engine than longer ones. Although the Giulietta doesn't seem to rust (yet) you are a lot closer to it appearing on an older car than a newer one...

We have had a couple of super low mileage for their age cars in the family and both of them showed much more wear and tear than the miles would suggest simply because of the use type of use they were put to.

·
Premium Member
3,009 Posts
All valid points, I would have thought there aren't many low mileage 11 plates, does budget matter, I bought a 9 year old one due to budget and the fact it had 36k on the clock, anything newer would have cost 4k more, although that was Dec 2019, also I wanted 170 horses not 150, but the choice is yours.

·
Registered
38,835 Posts
I bought a low mileage car years ago which was still on its original tyres which were “time-expired”. Had to replace them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
By the way what year is 11 plate and a 65 plate ?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Thanks I am From RSA/Czech rep , lived in UK for a bit but could not remember
So that is 4.5 years give or take then definitely the the 65 plate because as mentioned cars that do very low km often do short trips with many stop start from cold which is not good for the vehicle , once at proper operating temp there is very little wear

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,038 Posts
My 10-plate diesel has been (so far, touch wood) very reliable. It’s had a cambelt, a battery, new brakes and tyres, and a service every year in my 3 years ownership. I had to replace the EGR cooler but that’s not an issue on the petrols.
The previous owner didn’t use it much so it had 37k miles when I bought it, now on 65k. no suspension knocks or creaks but a bit of a dashboard squeak in cold weather.
So my experience suggests that the only difference on a newer car would be the redesigned hatch wiring that prevents the wires breaking. Obviously there are also differences in seats and ICE too, but if you choose wisely older low mileage car isn’t necessary a money pit in waiting.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
My 10-plate diesel has been (so far, touch wood) very reliable. It’s had a cambelt, a battery, new brakes and tyres, and a service every year in my 3 years ownership. I had to replace the EGR cooler but that’s not an issue on the petrols.
The previous owner didn’t use it much so it had 37k miles when I bought it, now on 65k. no suspension knocks or creaks but a bit of a dashboard squeak in cold weather.
So my experience suggests that the only difference on a newer car would be the redesigned hatch wiring that prevents the wires breaking. Obviously there are also differences in seats and ICE too, but if you choose wisely older low mileage car isn’t necessary a money pit in waiting.
Yes you are lucky if one drives long distance once month and then parks for a week or 2 then great but if used to go to the shop every day a different thing , but getting a used car is always a gamble we are just looking at what is probable

·
Registered
2010 Giulietta 2.0 JTDm2
1,038 Posts
Yes you are lucky if one drives long distance once month and then parks for a week or 2 then great but if used to go to the shop every day a different thing , but getting a used car is always a gamble we are just looking at what is probable
Absolutely. It’s why I’d be cautious about buying from the stereotypical little old lady who drove 4 miles to the shop since a week and nothing else. But if we can ask the current owner it might help with the decision.

·
Registered
38,835 Posts
The exhaust may never have warmed up to get rid of condensation and the clutch always have been ridden. And the tyres could be crumbly like cheese.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
It's the unknowns of the underpinnings (amongst other things) that put me off high-mileage cars. All the stresses and strains going through the chassis and elsewhere take their toll.

Petrol cars are designed for the shorter journey stop-start thing, that wouldn't concern me as long as there's evidence of regular servicing, particularly oil changes. The opposite is true of diesels - stop-start short journeys won't be good.

·
Registered
39,317 Posts
My brother had to scrap his 22 year old 48000 mile Clio due to terminal rust and dodgy electrics.

It's a bit of a waste really, that car could easily have done 3 times that mileage had it actually been used.

·
Registered
8,008 Posts
A car needs to be used on a regular basis unless you're going to store it properly for the long term.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts