Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!
As an alfa owner and enthusiast I am decided to leave my second (and beloved) 147 for a Giulia Veloce. I think the ultimate decision will come to either a low mileage 2017 or high mileage 2018. Any special considerations I should take when looking for 2017 models ? Or any significant enhancements done for 2018 ?

Thanks in advance !

·
Registered
595 Posts
A few things to consider if you plan on any mods.

In 2018 (not sure exactly when) they introduced a security system stopping people from performing some mods without the use of a bypass device.

These mods include, adding third party CarPlay / Android auto, turning on features from MES like auto main beam (Xenons only) and adding ACC+ (new module on steering wheel required).

Other than that there shouldn't be any differences really. I'm sure some others on here will add some bits that I've probably forgotten.
I've got a 17 plate Veloce and love it!

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
From Feb 2018 onwards SGW was introduced which will need a bypass device if you do your own diagnostics otherwise no issues.
Carplay and Android auto was introduced in 2018.
From mid 2018 Euro6d WLTP compliant cars have GPF and intake sound piped into a dedicated dash speaker. Not that obvious.
Otherwise all the same.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds good ! Thanks for your replies !

Not planning any mod but having freedom to run my own diagnostics could be useful. Would you go for a low mileage 2017 (~15K miles) or high 2018 (~30K miles) ? From my investigation the 30K service is quite expensive .. other than that I can't think of anything else.

·
Registered
595 Posts

Not planning any mod but having freedom to run my own diagnostics could be useful. Would you go for a low mileage 2017 (~15K miles) or high 2018 (~30K miles) ? From my investigation the 30K service is quite expensive .. other than that I can't think of anything else.
What month is the 2017 plate (still in warranty)? You can get service plans even for that age which would probably cover the 36k service (depending on your mileage) which would include the belt change.

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts

You can install a SGW bypass and do your own diagnostic. Without a bypass you can still read errors, just not be able to clear them. I have this and its sold by a Forum member and vendor.

The 3rd service on a 2.0 is not much more expensive than the 1st. 2nd service includes Pollen filter and Brake fluid change. 3rd is just oil an filter and a few bits.
The auxiliary belt and Plugs do not need doing until later 4th year/36k mile service. See the schedule in simple layout here.

Service care pack is £349 for 2 services and £499 for 3 services for vehicles upto 5 years.

So based on the above info, I would take service out of the equation. I would buy the lowest mileage car I can afford and the newest you can find. Extended warranty is also important on the Giulia as things can get expensive due to the complexity of the number of electronic modules present. If close to warranty expiry, consider a Mopar extended warranty for 4th and 5th year sold by LC motors Newport @ £1200. I would not buy the other warranties unless the dealer where you are servicing the car is selling and honouring the same warranty without any quibbles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looking at a couple of options but leaning towards a 17 reg.
I guess going for a dealer with warranty and get a service plan is the best just to give a peace of mind - need to look into those plans in detail! Thanks for the web links !

qq : How do service plans work in conjunction with wear parts that need to be changed, lets say you want to change brake pads during one scheduled service ? Is is possible to pay an extra to get it done ?

·
Premium Member
2,734 Posts
Looking at a couple of options but leaning towards a 17 reg.
I guess going for a dealer with warranty and get a service plan is the best just to give a peace of mind - need to look into those plans in detail! Thanks for the web links !

qq : How do service plans work in conjunction with wear parts that need to be changed, lets say you want to change brake pads during one scheduled service ? Is is possible to pay an extra to get it done ?
Yes any wear parts not included in the service schedule can be paid for separately or else get it done at an independent dealer. I have updated my post above with a bit more info re warranty.

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
I have a 2017 67 plate car and very happy with it, I went for the earlier model mainly because the later cars have the blacked out back windows, which I really dont like as standard.
For me I would rather a lower mileage slightly older car over a younger but higher mileage car

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I like seeing dark windows on a dark car but other than than that I don't really like it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts