Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I've been on the forums now for a few weeks just researching and reading up as I'm looking at buying a 159 SW. Alot of useful info here so thanks . . . .

A dealer near me has a car coming in it was registered in March 2008 and a 1.9 diesel car, when I asked where the car was from he said it was from Alfa, a car that the sales / agents etc would have used to travel between dealerships. It's done about 13,000 miles. Any specific things to look out for on this? Any views on whether it would have been well maintained etc.

If I get one it will be be my first Alfa and moving up from a Leon Cupra. . . anyone else moved from a Cupra to a 159? Comments thoughts etc. I do still really like my Cupra but my main objectives is to get something a little more economic and bigger . . . but a car I still want to get in and drive.

Regards Steve

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Like with most things you buy these days there are good and bad cars.... I bought mine which was described same as the one you are looking at as ex Alfa, i thought this would be a good thing and it might be with the right minded person driving it.... ]

When i picked mine up it had lots of obvious faults which came apparent after a couple of days, electric mirrors not working properly, door handle sticking, engine cover rattling to name but a few.... Things that if you bought it from new you would get sorted within the first few weeks of ownership. Dealer had not checked it and was not checked by Alfa before issuing for sale and the person who had been driving it had obviuosly not been bothered to have all the silly warranty issues resolved probably because it was Alfa's own car and they were just using it to do there job.....

Having made all the negative comments above, my car is great and although it took the shine off it a bit, the shine comes back every time i drive it, the problem being with Alfa UK and some of the dealer network!

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Just to add to the above, just like any car purchase, just check everything ok with test drive and history and you should be fine, spend some time with it and you will love it!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
There is always the possibility it could have been a hire car, as they tend to move them on around that age and mileage. Not that that should necessarily put you off, but it would be best to know so you can check everything especially carefully.

·
Registered
62 Posts
My 159 was ex alfa / fiat company car. The blue&me is not working properly but that is in the process of being resolved. The car is generally in great nick, no glaring problems. It shows what I would consider normal wear for a 2 yr old car.

Its a personal choice - I was happy enough with it to buy, but keep in mind to get everything checked out while it still has 1 yr manufacturer warranty.

The important thing is, no 2ndhand car is perfect. With this one, at least you know something about it. A private sale or indy trader may not tell you as much.

At its age / mileage there shouldn't be anything serious wrong that can't be fixed. Check it over to make sure its all ok and then anything you do find will most likely be minor - if you do find anything at all. I checked everything apart from the blue&me, didn't want to pair my phone with the car before I owned it. Perhaps should have done but the dealer is being helpful.

·
Registered
62 Posts
and of course, the other thing to remember is ppl only post here (and elsewhere) when there are issues. Most ppl never have problems but they don't all sit on the forums posting "another day, absolutely no problems with my alfa at all" so you see a lot of 'bad stuff'. Don't let it put you off ;)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies, yeah forums are great for getting other peoples thoughts and comments (which are always appreciated), but at the end of the day it's me who has to make to call a on that particular car and complete all the required duediligance etc . . . .

But generally buying cars is more of an decision of the heart than the mind, and as people have mentioned on this forum even more so for an Alfa.

It's only the second I've looked at and a bit more than I wanted to spend, but let's hope it's a good one.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
I do still really like my Cupra but my main objectives is to get something a little more economic and bigger . . . but a car I still want to get in and drive.

Regards Steve

Don't buy because its more economic, you don't buy a 159 1.9JTD and get economics in the same car!

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
There is always the possibility it could have been a hire car,
I would check the paperwork and confirm that it is not an ex-Hertz/Avis car. There have been a couple of "Alfa" cars on here like that. Might be nothing wrong with an ex-hire car but it would be handy to know who is on the Reg docs.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Mine was a second hander from Alfa/Fiat UK. As with Gingers experience there were a few bits and pieces that needed sorting that a private owner would proabably had fixed in the first few weeks.
I picked up all the faults at test drive and they were all fixed (appart from dodge heated seats) by the time I picked it up.
Don't let this put you off, mine is absolutely fine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I would check the paperwork and confirm that it is not an ex-Hertz/Avis car. There have been a couple of "Alfa" cars on here like that. Might be nothing wrong with an ex-hire car but it would be handy to know who is on the Reg docs.
And even then some might not show up as rentals. The courtesy 159 I had was from an accident management company working for my insurance company. They leased the cars from Alfa Romeo. It wouldn't have mattered who was the end user, the documents would only show Alfa when it came to sell. Oh and you could tell it had been thrashed to within an inch of it's life for it's entire 12k miles. Personally I wouldn't buy an ex-fleet Alfa. Wrong sort of car for that IMO.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Some more good points thanks. . .

Some good opinions to buy and not to buy. I guess it's really down to that particular car, even only on 13000 miles you can normally tell how a car has been treated by it's interior wear, scratches, general cleanliness etc.

I commute from Aylesbury to Hemel each day, mainly dual carriage way down the A41, so from reading on here I was expecting 40+ mpg from 159. I average 28-30 in the cupra. Even with diesel being more expensive than petrol . . . . I'm still a few quids in and I have a larger car.

·
Registered
5,312 Posts
47.5mpg up the m1 yesterday cruising at 80mph makes me inclined to disagree with you :thumbs:

Cruising up the M1 I would agree with you. But mixed driving nothing to heavy footed I'm getting 38mpg. 530 miles out of a tank!

·
Premium Member
7,625 Posts
I bought my GTA as an ex Fiat/Alfa car. Like those above, a few minor issues (hazard light button not working and one other that escapes me!). They were soon sorted. It had more stone chips than a 6k mile should have but I noticed that I didnt get many more in the next 60k!
The V5 says "Fiat Auto UK" as the first registered owner and its now done 81k with no major issues.....My advice, have a good look and play with everything, if ok then buy, if not, get them to fix it and buy!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Cruising up the M1 I would agree with you. But mixed driving nothing to heavy footed I'm getting 38mpg. 530 miles out of a tank!
likewise, town driving & commuting is the same for me. Having said that, better than the petrol ford I had before. may not be economical as I'd like but I'll forgive it because its lovely :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Bought my last 2 alfas around 1 yr old through this set up. No probs with either and in my experience a great way to buy if you change cars frequently and want to avoid the initial depreciation.

·
Registered
52 Posts
buying a 159JTD

I bought my first Alfa, a 1.9JTDM, black with cream leather, a month ago from a main dealer. Mine is an August 08 (last of the 08 reg) and it has no faults at all.
I am delighted with it, but compared to my old 2.3 VW Bora (also a 150bhp) the ride is a bit unsettled on rougher surfaces and the diesel economy is not as good as I had expected. Still, it makes me smile every time I see it!:)

·
Regional Support, For South Scotland - AOSS
3,507 Posts
There is always the possibility it could have been a hire car, as they tend to move them on around that age and mileage. Not that that should necessarily put you off, but it would be best to know so you can check everything especially carefully.
A very strong possibility - as a Fleet Controller for Hertz, I can confirm that our Alfas are defleeted at 9 months or 13000 miles, whichever comes first. I wouldn't be totally put off if it is ex-rental as Quadrofoglio says, but when I bought my 159 I had the choice of an ex-rental (I recognised the reg number - I know, spot the 'anorak', :rolleyes:) or a private trade-in and I opted for the latter :p.

And even then some might not show up as rentals......
Correct, :thumbs:. All ours are leased from Alfa so have ARUK as the registered owner on the V5.
Edit: That's the ones that we have now - have just checked back our records and up until the beginning of this year, it was about 50/50 Hertz UK or ARUK on the V5's. Just thought I should clarify.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts