Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently shopping for a used (preferably low-mileage) 147 GTA. Looking at various price guides such as Parker's, I have found that prices listed in the guides are generally 2 to 3k lower than those advertised by dealers on Autotrader. As this is quite a substantial difference, I would be very interested to hear from anyone who has had any experience of which of is more representative of what these cars actually sell for - the price guides or the dealer's prices.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Forget Parkers, I think it listed my GTA at about 12k when I sold to a dealer at 18 something, my fiat coupe listed at 6 when I sold near 11 or 12k, the unfortunate truth though is that dealer use similar figures from glasses guide as trade in values and options don't mean squat to the dealers, recently looked to swap my GT for a Z4 Coupe the tradein value was pathetic too, this sort of thing is good for buyers as you can use it as a weapon to knock people down, some like myself won't be budged though.

I think its safe to say that if you offered a dealer a price between the two ( parkers and the dealer ) you'd come away with a nice motor.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dude.

I also wonder if dealers artificially inflate their prices so they can offer more for a trade-in, thereby making it appear that you're getting a much better deal.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Rocinante said:
Thanks dude.

I also wonder if dealers artificially inflate their prices so they can offer more for a trade-in, thereby making it appear that you're getting a much better deal.
Of course they do - the only real thing you need to look at is your cost to change i.e the difference between before and after - a salesman gets offers from the trade for your car or uses glasses. he also has a bottom price for the car he is selling - cost+fixed overheads + minimum profit allowed by his manager, the rest is flexible... They make numbers dance...

SImes.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Also I'd have a look at the few in the for sale section here. Foxie has his for sale, and mine will be up soon, and these are nearer the £12/13k mark and you know they've been looked after (you could trace their history here in the search section by the users posts!).

But at least with a dealer you tend to get a warranty, however that does put you back into the dealer network which can be quite frightening!

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
While everyone likes to think that their car is worth more than the guides suggest, both flavours of GTA seem to actually be in that category. With only a few hundred of each in the country, a good one should acheive more than the Parkers estimate, for a seller not in a hurry. When all the cars are on offer way above the Parkers prices (even considering dealer margins), you have to wonder... The GTA's seem to have heavy initial depreciation then plateua quite a lot, perhaps at a bit over £10k people suddenly start realising what good value they are for a rare 155mph car with one of the best engines out there!

Good luck looking!

·
Banned
90 Posts
My local dealer in Norwich is showing an 04 plate for £14995 with 20,000 miles which seems like a fair price to me. Been in since before Christmas so may be up for a bit of a haggle!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Does it matter for you on which side is the steering wheel? If not, than you can find some really interesting bits and prices on the continent ... you can try autoscout24.de - that is what I have done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts