Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello colleges, :)

would it be possible to fit the newer turbo (GTB2056V) from the 159 or Brera 2,4JTD 20V 200HP in the 156 or. 166 2,4JTD 20V engines?
Did anybody already do this conversation?
Would it be plug&play job?
Do the connections have the same dimension and also the same orientation?

Would be nice to see some detailed pictures of the GTB2056V.
I couldn't find good pics on the net.

Thanks in advance, :thumbs:
Max166

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Hello colleges, :)

would it be possible to fit the newer turbo (GTB2056V) from the 159 or Brera 2,4JTD 20V 200HP in the
156 or. 166 2,4JTD 20V engines?
Did anybody already do this conversation?
Would it be plug&play job?
Do the connections have the same dimension and also the same orientation?

Would be nice to see some detailed pictures of the GTB2056V.
I couldn't find good pics on the net.

Thanks in advance, :thumbs:
Max166
Looks like a completely different unit.

turbo gtb2056v.jpg

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Hi... there are two different turbos in Brera/159 2.4. In 200BHP engine it is not the Garrett turbo (I think it is made by Borg Warner).
In 210 BHP the turbo is GTB2056V made by Garrett, which is an excellent turbo, one of the best. But it is far from plug and play job. Your engine uses vacuum controled VNT mechanism. GTB2056V uses electronic VNT mechanism. So first you have to find new vacuum actuator to replace the electronic unit on the GTB. And also the exhaust manifold is different...

It is far from easy job. But it would be very good upgrade for that engine... IMO it would also be perfect for highly tuned 1.9 JTD.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
It is possible, BUT like TribesMan already wrote it is not an easy job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi... there are two different turbos in Brera/159 2.4. In 200BHP engine it is not the Garrett turbo (I think it is made by Borg Warner).
In 210 BHP the turbo is GTB2056V made by Garrett, which is an excellent turbo, one of the best. But it is far from plug and play job. Your engine uses vacuum controled VNT mechanism. GTB2056V uses electronic VNT mechanism. So first you have to find new vacuum actuator to replace the electronic unit on the GTB. And also the exhaust manifold is different...

It is far from easy job. But it would be very good upgrade for that engine... IMO it would also be perfect for highly tuned 1.9 JTD.
Hello TribesMan, ;)

thanks for your reply!
Are you sure that the GTB2056V used in the 159 and Brera are controlled by an electric motor? :cry:
Maybe in Audi or BMW engines they are, but on the pic below it seems as it's vacuum controlled.

Do you have original pictures from the application in the car?

Thanks a lot, :)
Maxx

Attachments

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Yes I'm 100% sure it is electronic controlled... Dont belive all the pictures from ePer. This picture shows the 200BHP engine, not 210BHP engine. The turbo in 200BHP engine is nothing special... GTB is much better...

AFAIK all 3rd generation Garrett turbos (GTB...) are controlled by electronic actuator. And so far nobody was able to work out how electronic actuator works, otherwise it would be possible to make an "adapter" that would transfer VNT vacuum solenoid signal into electronic actuator control...

But yes it can be done. All you need is a lot of time and will... and a good remap when it is all done... :)

·
Premium Member
1,764 Posts
Look at TDIclub forums.

There are several people that have GTB turbos with vacuum control.

They replace the electronic actuator with a vacuum actuator, by making a new lever and bracket. But it's a precise job, since the VNT working range must be matched!

Also the GTB2056v has the turbine and compressor mirrored compared to the GT2256v one.

@max166: the pic you posted is from a 1.9 by the way (4 cylinders, check the manifold).

·
Registered
813 Posts
Hey All, i was wondering is it possible to fit the turbo from the 210 brera to the 200 brera? Is it simple plug and play? Mine will probably need replacing soon (i have the 200bhp brera) and i hear that the 210 turbo is far better....

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yes, BV50 and GTB2056V are compatible. But you will need a proper remap to unlock the full potential of the GTB2056. Btw stock turbo maps on 200HP 159/brera are kind of tragedy. Would be done better already from factory.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I already have my car remapped to around 250bhp. So are you saying if i put the newer turbo on, i will need to have it remapped again? Is it necessary or will it be fine with existing map?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
I already have my car remapped to around 250bhp. So are you saying if i put the newer turbo on, i will need to have it remapped again? Is it necessary or will it be fine with existing map?
Yes, to get full potential of the turbo, especially at low revs. But speaking in numbers you will gain not more than some 5-10HP more. So it's up to you if it's worth. What I have seen, 210HP 159/brera engines could be tuned to 250HP and 200HP to 240HP.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I have had the dpf removed. With that removed you can get 250 from the 200 and 260 from the 210. (AHM). Got print out from rollers to prove :D.... So sounds like i need to order myself a GTB2056V? Thats the new one right?

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
Yes, GTB2056V is the new one (210HP).

·
Registered
117 Posts
One question. You tell that you can fit a 210 HP turbo garrett unit on a 200 HP , right? As I see, the 210 hp is electronic controled. How can we get the conversion? I think we need cables and connection to the ecu, right? And a new ECU I think or a reman using a 210 HP map. I think using the garrett on a 200 hp it´s kind of imposible as a plug and play, am I right?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Thats what i was thinking and since im really interested in doing this, any specifics as to how this can be fitted to the 200bhp would be great....

·
Registered
1,951 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts