Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I just got a '06 159 with the stock radio/CD/usb in glovebox. The mp3s play when a usb stick is inserted, but it seems like they are random, or at least don't advance by album name or folder. I naturally want to be able to play albums in sequence. Is this just how it is, or is there some formatting issue? I must say that this radio is a big improvement over the 156!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Morning Rob

Do you have the MP3s in a file structure? (Artist/Album)?

You may need to use the steering wheel controls to select what you want to listen to, sounds like currently it is on "Play All" which is the default for a newly inserted media.

Press the (phone) call button on the left side of the wheel, tap the down (right hand side) twice to find "Media" Player", press the "Call" button against to select, then down twice more for Artist, or four times for Album, scroll to select your Artist/Album, press "Call" again and either "Play All" (random order) or select the first track to play through the selection in order.

If you want to take random off, while stationary, Press the "Call" button to bring up the Phone menu, scroll to settings, then Media Player settings and take turn "Random" to "Off"

I hope this helps ... If you're still stuck, I'll try recording a video of the process ...

Mvg, Simon

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Think the MP3 player puts them in order that they were put on the memory stick, so it you have added over time, they will be in a random order

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
First thing is to switch the shuffle off.

After that that is very, very temperamental about tags and file names.

I did have some scripts for Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)
which I used to clean-up all the files I put on USB for B&M.
Removing special characters, then naming the files using track numbers as prefixes etc.
It's fairly straightforward. Especially if you understand regular expressions.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Morning Rob

Do you have the MP3s in a file structure? (Artist/Album)?

You may need to use the steering wheel controls to select what you want to listen to, sounds like currently it is on "Play All" which is the default for a newly inserted media.

Press the (phone) call button on the left side of the wheel, tap the down (right hand side) twice to find "Media" Player", press the "Call" button against to select, then down twice more for Artist, or four times for Album, scroll to select your Artist/Album, press "Call" again and either "Play All" (random order) or select the first track to play through the selection in order.

If you want to take random off, while stationary, Press the "Call" button to bring up the Phone menu, scroll to settings, then Media Player settings and take turn "Random" to "Off"

I hope this helps ... If you're still stuck, I'll try recording a video of the process ...

Mvg, Simon
Thanks! I'll try it. How did you learn all this stuff? The car came with a thick book just dedicated to the radio, but it mentions nothing about this topic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thanks! I'll try it. How did you learn all this stuff? The car came with a thick book just dedicated to the radio, but it mentions nothing about this topic.
@robobasso; Don't I know it! Read the whole thing cover to cover! :argue:

Trial & Error mate, hit it a couple of times too :ponder: :hehe:

Mvg, Simon

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Simon,
So, I finally sat down and worked on this before our Easter road trip. I can now play a "folder" but it still won't play in the proper order, and it doesn't recognize album or artist info. From here I guess I just have to sit down with a tag editor. Funny, the existing tags work on all the other (non-Apple) devices I use.

·
Registered
4,784 Posts
Simon,
So, I finally sat down and worked on this before our Easter road trip. I can now play a "folder" but it still won't play in the proper order, and it doesn't recognize album or artist info. From here I guess I just have to sit down with a tag editor. Funny, the existing tags work on all the other (non-Apple) devices I use.
Delete it all, and re-load them at the same time, as mentioned, it plays them in the order they were added (you will also note there is a 1,000 song limit).

·
Registered
31 Posts
I found that I had more success with getting track recognised when I put them on the USB stick through Windows Media Player. If I drag and drop them onto the stick, the car doesn't recognise any of the MP3ID Tags, or tracks ... So try deleting all off as Giblets suggests, and re copy through WMP ...

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
If yours is an 06 model theres a good chance like mine it didn't come with the usb.
That is why you can't find it in the handbook.
It is probably a retro fit but should work as the others have said if it's been fitted with the correct player.
Do you know if there is any branding on the usb player . does it have an sd card slot ?

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
Hi. I just got a '06 159 with the stock radio/CD/usb in glovebox. The mp3s play when a usb stick is inserted, but it seems like they are random, or at least don't advance by album name or folder. I naturally want to be able to play albums in sequence. Is this just how it is, or is there some formatting issue? I must say that this radio is a big improvement over the 156!
Try and get hold of a Blue&Me handbook - it's all explained in every detail in there.
It can be setup exactly how you want it with an option for just about anything imaginable.
I found 'voice interaction' the easiest way of getting the settings right for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts