Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys

Went on a nice cruise to France yesterday and my passenger had a freshly loaded iPod with some tunes for the drive

Plugged in the iPod to the USB port but couldn't work out how to get it to play through the media system. I assume this is what the USB port is for?

Any help?

N

·
0 Posts
You need the Blue&Me iPod adaptor to take care of the non-standard iPod USB connection.

I may be up for selling mine as I'm about to ditch my iPod touch.

Make me an offer.

;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
No, the USB is for flash drives only. iPod, as Nev said, can only be played and have limited control with the Blue&Me adaptor, which is expensive (last I looked, around £60....unless anyone knows cheaper?). Blue&Me is a Microsoft product and as usual, there is always the usual Apple/Microsoft compatibility issues. I would suggest buying a cheap, large capacity USB memory stick and downloading your music onto that. I have a 16Gb card with loads on it and it works beautifully. All steering wheel controlled.

N

·
0 Posts
Nothing to do with Microsoft/Apple compatibility.

The iPod/Phones are not configured to appear as a standard FAT32 USB disk drives.
Thus it doesn't work with the original B&M systems.

G

·
0 Posts
USB sticks are the way forward!!! The sound quality is so much better as well...although my mate tells me the SD card he uses in his is much better quality

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
USB sticks are the way forward!!! The sound quality is so much better as well...although my mate tells me the SD card he uses in his is much better quality
Its digital so all the stick/card is spewing out is accurately recorded numbers - how could it be different?

G

·
0 Posts
Its digital so all the stick/card is spewing out is accurately recorded numbers - how could it be different?

No idea, my mate said it not me. All I know is the quality is crap if I play music via Bluetooth from my phone but is very good when I plug in a USB stick (I have a Parrot bluetooth/mp3)

N

·
0 Posts
It's better quality than an iPod if there is DRM.

My iPod touch cannot play audiobooks through B&M
without sounding like an old 78.

Otherwise quality should be the same.

So i could in fact just keep a 1TB hard drive in the glovebox?

No FAT32 has an absolute FS size limit.

And B&M has some issue with max number of files too.

Also there's a limit of current draw so it can't supply enough
power for large HDDs.

·
Registered
975 Posts
It's better quality than an iPod if there is DRM.

My iPod touch cannot play audiobooks through B&M
without sounding like an old 78.

Otherwise quality should be the same.

No FAT32 has an absolute FS size limit.

And B&M has some issue with max number of files too.

Also there's a limit of current draw so it can't supply enough
power for large HDDs.
Also, how much music do you own to fill 1TB!!! :cheese:

·
Registered
134 Posts
No idea, my mate said it not me. All I know is the quality is crap if I play music via Bluetooth from my phone but is very good when I plug in a USB stick (I have a Parrot bluetooth/mp3)
The bit-rate of bluetooth is very low compared to USB so this would affect the audio quality. I would except no difference between an SD card and USB stick direct, as the SD card connects via the same interface

N

·
0 Posts
That doesn't work for newer iPods, you need the adaptor for
159/Brera/Spider and older MiTos.

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is the first I have heard of a USB port in the glove box. Was that an optional extra or should all 159's have them? Mine's an '06 plate.

·
Registered
115 Posts
My 16Gb Sony Walkman MP3 player works fine linked to the USB port with the transfer cable used to drag and drop music onto it from my laptop, and can be fully controlled from the steering wheel.
Very happy with that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I tried a USB stick with a couple of dozen MP3 files on it. It repeated/y played the same track over and over and had to be manually skipped (from the steering wheel) to play the next song. Any idea what I did wrong?

thanks..

G

·
0 Posts
This is the first I have heard of a USB port in the glove box. Was that an optional extra or should all 159's have them? Mine's an '06 plate.
extra

get a Parrot one fitted like I have. it only cost £150

1 - 20 of 53 Posts