Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are a number of threads already about this but I don't seem to be finidng anything related to my issue.

I have a 2011 Veloce and have put about 150 songs on 4gb USB stick. I plugged it into the car, it instantly read it and let me play all the music (as far as I could tell). Great?

A couple of days passed and now it is only reading about 25/30 of the songs. It has lost the rest of the catalogue it seems.

I looked in mp3tag and all the tags seem to be up to date versions, as all the songs were purchased as mp3 downloads recently. Do they all need to be the same version? If so what?

Does anyone have any ideas what happened? As it did read and play them all fine I am a little confused as to why it now wont. I have not added or removed any.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi mate, i have same problem, interested why it does that, also my player seems to forget the setings i change, like autoplay off, or shuffle off, every time i remove the key from dashboard, setings go to default, even i change it in main setings via steering wheel, so annoying.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
U-Connect is extremely unreliable with the USB port; blue&me was even worse.

The only reasonable way to play music in a car is from your phone via bluetooth.
(I am up to a 128GB SD card in may phone, and about to upgrade to a 200GB card.....)

Using you phone gives you the choice of player so you can sort any which way you want.

·
Registered
28 Posts
When i plugged my USB first time, nothing played at all, so i thought that sucks, bought FM transmitter to play my music thru radio, but reception seem to be very poor, tried many frequencies, all the same, even tried different transmiters, same, and recently i put some different music in my USB 8GB, played straight away, doesn't make sense why it didnt at first time, all songs were playing, but then next day, 1/3 of songs didn't come up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U-Connect is extremely unreliable with the USB port; blue&me was even worse.

The only reasonable way to play music in a car is from your phone via bluetooth.
(I am up to a 128GB SD card in may phone, and about to upgrade to a 200GB card.....)

Using you phone gives you the choice of player so you can sort any which way you want.
Are you using an additional bluetooth dongle of some sort? Blue&Me does not support playing music does it?

I would really like to be able to control it from the wheel still though.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Yes blue&me needed an adapter.
The best was actually one that pretended to be the cd player.

All I know since I have a u-connect....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
USB 8GB, played straight away, doesn't make sense why it didnt at first time, all songs were playing, but then next day, 1/3 of songs didn't come up.
Yeah this is the same.
I have found a little programme someone made for a fiat 500 that auto edits all the songs on your usb stick to be more friendly to the sytem. It is 5 euros, called BlueMeUSB, there are free options like mp3tag but this just does it all for you much easier.

I have broken my ankle so yet to put the stick back in the car and test, but hopefuly now all the titles and tags and everything are simplified it will work.

·
Registered
28 Posts
USB 8GB, played straight away, doesn't make sense why it didnt at first time, all songs were playing, but then next day, 1/3 of songs didn't come up.
Yeah this is the same.
I have found a little programme someone made for a fiat 500 that auto edits all the songs on your usb stick to be more friendly to the sytem. It is 5 euros, called BlueMeUSB, there are free options like mp3tag but this just does it all for you much easier.

I have broken my ankle so yet to put the stick back in the car and test, but hopefuly now all the titles and tags and everything are simplified it will work.
Thx mate, let me know how it did, if works i will try aswell,

But still regarding other issue where setings doesn't save after ignition key removed, that is more annoying then missing songs lol

·
Registered
9 Posts
The best fix I found for the Blue&Me USB socket, was the naming convention of the files. I found file names with special characters were an issue with the software in the Alfa. Anything with double spaces, commas, exclamiation marks, question marks. Edit the names and get rid of them. Ever since my files have never been a problem and I have about 2,000 on a 4 year old Sony Xperia mobile that lives in my glove box.

But before editting the names, I did used to get the stupid Blue&Me woman telling me I had bad data, or songs would just vanish as the software struggled to list the file names.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Slight aside, but I bought a blue tooth adapter for mine. Plugins into the Aux and USB sockets and lets you stream directly from your phone (I play pretty much all of my music through spotify). Pain is that you can't skip through tracks from the wheel. Neat solution though, and sound quality is great.

TUNAI Firefly Bluetooth Receiver:... https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01HDO66MG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Hi mate, i thought about it aswell, but its sad that wheel buttons would not work, as my direct audio system next buttons dont work when in usb media player mode for some reason,when in radio or cd mode its fine.

·
Registered
28 Posts
The best fix I found for the Blue&Me USB socket, was the naming convention of the files. I found file names with special characters were an issue with the software in the Alfa. Anything with double spaces, commas, exclamiation marks, question marks. Edit the names and get rid of them. Ever since my files have never been a problem and I have about 2,000 on a 4 year old Sony Xperia mobile that lives in my glove box.

But before editting the names, I did used to get the stupid Blue&Me woman telling me I had bad data, or songs would just vanish as the software struggled to list the file names.

Hope that helps.
Thanks for that, i think i will give it a go with your solution, also gonna do Blue&Me software update,see maybe that would fix other issues

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thx mate, let me know how it did, if works i will try aswell,

But still regarding other issue where setings doesn't save after ignition key removed, that is more annoying then missing songs lol
Have only had the car running once since using the BlueMeUSB software on the music. But it is reading all the songs now. Will wait and see if it keeps reading them all, as it seemed to be fine the first time originally too.

In other questions for people... I see people talking about changing some options in the 'advanced usb settings' part of the menu, I can not find this anywhere on my sytem... any help? Maybe it is atill the original 2011 version and if I update the car software?

I can only cycle through songs... everything I have read suggests I should be able to cycle through folders aswell... no button seems to do this?

·
Registered
125 Posts

Hope that helps.
Yep, I've found the same. My 159 never did this, but the G is terrible for it. Even apostrophes in the sone title can cause it.

Got in the car yesterday and got the no source available message too, which means pull the stick out and start again, happens every so often as well.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
I hate recommending an Apple product but I have an ipod plugged in to the USB and it works seemlessly with my 2017 Giulietta and in my previous 2013 G.

I have an old iphone4S in my mini which was in the G and this worked too.

Dare I suggest a 2nd hand i"something" and surrender to iTunes? Even one of those mini things they made just to leave in the car

1 - 17 of 17 Posts