Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, newbie here. Merry Christmas
I am looking to buy a 2008 (or later) 2.4 JTDM Spider in January.

Most of the ones I have seen advertised mention Bluetooth, but not USB.

Does anyone know if these have a USB input? and is the Bluetooth the same as Blue & Me?
(I ask about blue and me as we have it on our other cars which are Fiat Bravos and Puntos, and I am familiar with that the system)

Any other comments or advice on the sound system welcomed

Thanks in advance
Cheers
Paul

·
Registered
105 Posts
Hi, hope you get the Spider, know you'll love it. I have a 2008 LE Spider and it includes the USB port with the Bluetooth . If you want to play music through your phone you will need a blue & me adaptor approx £60 from Alfa, sometimes available on eBay cheaper. A general comment is that the standard sound system doesn't have enough quality or power when the roof is down, so I upgraded the exhaust, sounds much better now :biglaugh:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, hope you get the Spider, know you'll love it. I have a 2008 LE Spider and it includes the USB port with the Bluetooth . If you want to play music through your phone you will need a blue & me adaptor approx £60 from Alfa, sometimes available on eBay cheaper. A general comment is that the standard sound system doesn't have enough quality or power when the roof is down, so I upgraded the exhaust, sounds much better now :biglaugh:
Thanks for the reply David, can the sound system play music from a USB drive without the adaptor?
Cheers

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Yes, it should play music direct from USB pen drive.

Now, lots of B&M have been bricked by failed attempts to upgrade to later software. If B&M is important including blue tooth phone connectivity get the seller to demonstrate it all working including phone connection and working USB.

If it has been bricked by an attempt to upgrade to a later version of software (early B&M is not compatible with V6 onwards) then it can't be recovered and the only option is a replacement B&M or something like the following:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoradio...el:159&hash=item41844d3bff:g:pJkAAOSww-NTz3nR

Note that the link is to a single DIN unit and easy to install. You can get nice double din Android units quite a lot cheaper (£200) but they are quite a lot more work to install.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, it should play music direct from USB pen drive.

Now, lots of B&M have been bricked by failed attempts to upgrade to later software. If B&M is important including blue tooth phone connectivity get the seller to demonstrate it all working including phone connection and working USB.

If it has been bricked by an attempt to upgrade to a later version of software (early B&M is not compatible with V6 onwards) then it can't be recovered and the only option is a replacement B&M or something like the following:-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Autoradio...el:159&hash=item41844d3bff:g:pJkAAOSww-NTz3nR

Note that the link is to a single DIN unit and easy to install. You can get nice double din Android units quite a lot cheaper (£200) but they are quite a lot more work to install.
Excellent thanks for the info
cheers

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Not sure what music formats it will play. MP3 = "yes" but AAC, FLAC and others I don't know about. Also not sure if it will play VBR (variable bit rate) MP3.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Slight hijack here, but I have a '58 plate 159. I was going to get a new head unit, but the clean Pioneer ones I like cost loads so I'll just use my iPhone for tom tom and music.
A £60 dongle is obviously the cheapest option, but I see its B&m version 5.4 compatible. Am I likely to have 5.4 on a 58 plate? Can I check in the Menu which version I have?

Last question, is any anyone successfully using an iPhone 6 with the B&m adapter?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
My wife's 159 is 07 plate 200bhp early model and that ran V5.4 before it was bricked (I wonder who did that?) trying to update to later software.

I don't recall how to check the version but seem to recall it can be done.

You can update to 5.4 if it isn't installed already but the unit is VERY temperamental, only works with certain pendrives for the upgrade and even attempting to update to software that should work risks bricking the unit.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Cheers Mate,
I had read about the bricking issues, so I'm hoping i already have 5.4 so i don't have to mess around. I had a faff with the menu button, holding it down a bit longer, but no sub menus came up. Can't see anything on the B&M site either.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
@OP Bit late, but:

When launched there was only a Bluetooth optionavailable.
Which was almost identical to Blue&Me but without the USB or Media player.
(So 06/07 Breras could have this system.)

The standard audio set up in the Brera lacks bass due to there being no woofers
in the rear, just mids.

It needs an aftermarket speaker-level combi-amp/sub at a minimum to make it sound any good.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Brera USB

@OP Bit late, but:

When launched there was only a Bluetooth optionavailable.
Which was almost identical to Blue&Me but without the USB or Media player.
(So 06/07 Breras could have this system.)

The standard audio set up in the Brera lacks bass due to there being no woofers
in the rear, just mids.

It needs an aftermarket speaker-level combi-amp/sub at a minimum to make it sound any good.
Looks like this relates to a question I have about my recently-acquired 07 Brera. It appears to have an early version of Blue&Me (the handbook doesn't call it Blue&Me, and when you pair a phone to it, it comes up as MyCar). I only want to be able to use my iPhone hands-free with it - not bothered about playing music, but it appears that the system is not compatible with iPhones (the handbook only lists a few phones as being compatible, and none are iPhones). The system will pair with my iPhone, but they won't stay connected to each other. You'd have to think that a software upgrade would fix this, however there is no USB socket in the glove box. I'm wondering if there is a USB socket hidden away somewhere, and if this can be used to update the software - and if so, is an update available which will provide compatibility with iPhones? If anybody is able to shed any light on this, I'd be very grateful. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
38,319 Posts
There is a USB socket on the unit, under the main body of the HU.
Behind the lower half of the HU fascia.
If you pull the HU you will be able to see it.

However no updates were ever released to my knowledge.

I tried to install B&M updates but they weren't ever recognised.

I used a half dozen phones with that Bluetooth system, no issue.
The issue is (as ever) Apple's Bluetooth implementation, I'd guess.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There is a USB socket on the unit, under the main body of the HU.
Behind the lower half of the HU fascia.
If you pull the HU you will be able to see it.

However no updates were ever released to my knowledge.

I tried to install B&M updates but they weren't ever recognised.

I used a half dozen phones with that Bluetooth system, no issue.
The issue is (as ever) Apple's Bluetooth implementation, I'd guess.
Thanks for that. The Blue&Me website refers to first generation and second generation control units and says that 5.5 & 5.6 software updates relate to the first generation. But the impression I'm gaining is that the system in my car predates the first generation B&M - would you say that is correct? If so, it would appear that my options are all after-market, ranging from using the phone in a cradle on loudspeaker, through to replacing the entire HU with something which is iPhone compatible (which I would prefer not to do as I'd like to keep the car original). Any offers of advice from anybody are welcome. Cheers and thanks for reading.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts