Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm having the timing belt changed on my GT JTD 55 plate. The guy doing it said he put the new one on and it was too long by a tooth or two. His suppliers said "is the car a 140 bhp?" I told him, nope they dont make a 140bhp diesel. So, have they sent him the wrong belt? He's getting another one delivered as I type..

any advice is as always greatly appreciated

L

·
0 Posts
is the pulley of the new water pump the same diameter as the old one? perhaps its smaller & therefore giving the appearance of 2 extra teeth. I assume you are replacing the water pump.

·
Banned
857 Posts
I knew this would start happening eventually.

He's trying to fit a belt and tensioner for a CF4 / Euro 4 engine which uses a 199 tooth belt whereas it sounds like you are needing a CF3 belt (198 teeth).

Confusion will soon reign as most parts catalogues are not making the distinction between the two and listing CF4 belts/kits as suitable for all GT JTDs from beginning of production (which is plain wrong).

I've compiled this list of part numbers just for such an eventuality...

CF3 (198 teeth)

FIAT - 71754557
Gates - K015600XS
CONTITECH - CT1076K1

CF4 (199 teth)

FIAT - 71754559
GATES - K015623XS
CONTITECH - CT1105K1
Dayco - KTB459
INA - 530 0436 1910
OPEL - 6606029
OPEL - 93191278
Quinton Hazell - QBK659
RUVILLE - 5584476
SKF - VKMA 02,193

·
Banned
857 Posts
CF3 belt is 46791189
CF4 belt is 55183528
Sorry. The part numbers I am listing are for the complete kits including pulley and tensioner. Chances are if the supplier has shipped the wrong belt then they will have sent the wrong tensioner as well. Also, if the supplier used is shipping belts/kits other than original, Gates or Continental then chances are the same wrong belt will be continually supplied. I've checked the parts catalogues for Dayco, SKF and QH and none of the three acknowledge the CF3 engine.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
I bought a Fiat OEM branded kit for a Cinquecento and I received an 8mm toothed belt instead of a 9.25mm (older type) so it's not an unusual phenonomenomenon.

It isn't half a pain in the 'arris... I had to refit the old belt until a new one arrived but the belt was just "old" rather than mileage'd out and looked new.. and the Cinq' FIRE engine is a non-interference doodah anyways.. :)

Still... let the buggers know, so they can fix their brochures..

Ralf S.

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
The fuel pump pulley is different as well.

·
Identity Confirmed, Authorised Trader
7,045 Posts
We only use original Alfa belt kits and the tensioner and idler are the same on CF3 and CF4 but the belts are slightly different lengths, this car being a 55 reg it is right on the change over so could be either, it is not possible to fit the wrong belt

Actually that said nothing surprises me any more

Ned

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, brilliant help from you all! Many thanks indeed.

Well, the mechanics supplier did a quick resupply of the correct belt and it's all done and dusted now. It was the 198 tooth belt required.

Yes, the water pump was replaced as well. I had a look at the old one, and the it looked as good as new, no calcium build up from leaks or cracking on the visible plastic parts. Sods law, but at least its done now and I get peace of mind. It was on 51500 miles, so within the 'time for error' period.

I have printed out r11co's useful guide, will present it to the mechanic (I know him quite well and he wont think i'm telling him how to suck eggs).

MOT today, possible upper wishbone failure to be had so will soon know. Got 2 weeks before MOT expires, so not desperate. Luckily my mechanic skills do run to changing a number plate bulb, so thats one less worry :lol:

·
Banned
857 Posts
Yes, the water pump was replaced as well. I had a look at the old one, and the it looked as good as new, no calcium build up from leaks or cracking on the visible plastic parts. Sods law, but at least its done now and I get peace of mind. It was on 51500 miles, so within the 'time for error' period.
I'm still wondering if, at 31,000 miles, I am being a little too cautious. My car is officially 6 years old in January.

I have printed out r11co's useful guide, will present it to the mechanic (I know him quite well and he wont think i'm telling him how to suck eggs).
I am going to update it to include part numbers for the belts on their own. Dayco do list a 198 tooth belt but strangely don't sell it as part of a kit.

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
I'm still wondering if, at 31,000 miles, I am being a little too cautious. My car is officially 6 years old in January.
It should have been changed January 2011 at 5 years old..

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yep, advice on here says 5 years / 40-50000 miles or whatever comes first.

But as mine proved, at almost 6 years old and 515000 miles, pump & belt were still in good nick. However, better safe than sorry.

·
Banned
857 Posts
The car had less than 25k miles on it then, plus my big bill last year was getting the worn-through aircon pipe fixed.

If I can get the parts together I'll get it done over the holidays (thanks to my tame mechanic).

I've just about secured a genuine roller for a tenner and genuine tensioner and Comline water pump for £30 each, but I'm thinking that £13 for a Dayco belt is too cheap to be true....

·
Vendor
45,761 Posts
The car had less than 25k miles on it then
Its still been under tension for 5 years, gone through 5 winters worth of intense heating/cooling cycles, still had possible contact from oils & contaminants for 5 years.. Its not all about the mileage, there is a time limit as well and Alfa say 5 years or 72k - in my mind even this is too long having seen what must be now well over a hundred failed diesel timing belts. A year or so back we were fixing 2 or 3 of these a week..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts