Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys

This morning my CD player (standard in 147 JTD 16v) decided to eat a CD. It swallowed and refuses to eject and claims there is no CD present. The problem is, that there is a constant whirring noise from the unit like it is constantly trying to read a CD. This continues even when the engine is turned off. As soon as the car is unlocked from the remote key fob, the radio springs into action. the worry is that my battery is draining overnight while the CD is cnstantly in action.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had the same thing on my old 156. It happened twice and I fixed it differently each time.

First time I took the stereo out and disconnected the power for a while (~ 20 mins). When I plugged the power back in the CD came out.

The second time it happened I punched the front of the stereo and out popped the CD.

First ones safer, second ones quicker.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will give them a go in the order you suggest. Can I pick up the removal prongs from any car shop, or will I need to go to an Alfa dealer?

Many Thanks for the reply as it is still making the noise. I was half expecting a flat battery this morning!!

·
Registered
15,180 Posts
Yep, same thing happened on my old 156 too.
I had to remove the fuse. :rolleyes:
To get the CD out I removed the head unit, opened it up inside and pulled the CD from its holding pins. Never got the bloody thing working again til the car was p/xed a few weeks later.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I will give them a go in the order you suggest. Can I pick up the removal prongs from any car shop, or will I need to go to an Alfa dealer?
When I pulled my stereo out to replace it I used two pieces of wire coathanger, and a little bit of patience.

Came out quite easily.

I'm also fairly good at breaking and entering (I lock myself out quite a lot :( )

1 - 6 of 6 Posts