Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,032 Posts
you need Alfadiag (or Examiner) to get gear into neutral......

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Sound slike he ran out of oil or oil pressure.

If the oil has leaked or the pump ain't working you won't be able to get it into neutral

the BEST way to acheive neutral is to:

1. remove battery
2. remove battery tray
3. remove the 12mm hex 'bung' at the rear & top of the actuator & place a 1/2" socket extension [ 4" to 6" long ] down the hole into the 'eye' of the gear selector.

4. the place a mole/visegrip onto the shaft of the & rotate it either ONE click CW or CCW until neutral can be found.

alternative use this tool, which i got made up by a firend

Which i can supply if you want.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
space is limited coz the abs system/pump is just above the opening.

if the car is in 1st or 2nd the gear linkage will 'pop up'when in neutral & therefore the rachet can get caught in the abs systems housing.... try a 3" or 4" .... might work ... i used a 6" which was too long :eek:

all you need to do it get it to turn a few degrees either left or right to find neutral, one click, if you get a double click you are in the opposite gear....you might have to rock the car if the gears are under pressure.

·
Banned
9,721 Posts
Cheers, Pat. If I use the 1/2" socket method, is there anything to stop me using the ratchet handle to do the turning? Space/access restrictions?

Thanks,

Iain
Nothing to stop you. Just if the extension is too long then the ABS piopework will interfere.

·
Registered
1 Posts
selespeed stuck in gear

had the same problem the other day, after having my car towed home i managed to make a few calls and found it was gonna be a very expensive fix, so here is the deal.
if ur car makes a sort of squeeking buzzing noise when u open the door or turn the key to mar then its prob not the electric pump,(if u dont hear this noise loosen off the terminals fron ur battery and put them back on do this a few times and listen for the buzzing noise).if u can hear this noise everytime u do this then its more likely to be the actuator also if u havent changed ur battery for a while it might be the problem or a relay as i found in my instance.the actuator can be serviced all it needs are new seals but make sure theyr the right type and make sure there are no cracks in it.cheers:)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts