Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chaps,

rear lights playing up in a funny way....
started with the central check panel 'stop light' warning lamp coming on...thought was straight forward enough as drivers side stop light wasn't working...changed bulb....old one didn't look blown though...new bulb would not work either....then noted that PASSENGER side tail light connection seemed loose...sorted that...then lots of different combinations of things happened but I've ended up with...

1) ALL LIGHTS SWITCHED OFF - both rear brake lights work,

2) SWITCH MAIN LIGHTS ON - control panel shows that brake light malfunction and number plate light malfunction, also green light in dash that comes on when lights are on no longer lit, both brake lights work but passenger side tail light and drivers side number plate light not working [bulbs are ok], front lights / all fogs OK

recently had work done to repair worn / broken wires in the bundle that goes into bootlid..all well since...
...and I thought I just had to change a bulb!!

PLEASE HELP!

regards
raj :mad:

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Check the earth connections and also the connectors on the rear light clusters

Do any lights flash if you switch the indicators on with side and fog and brakes all on as well if so definately an earth problem

Otherwise check the loom where it was repaired

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll second the suggestion to check the ground/earth connections.

Duff earths can cause all sorts of problems with lights. On a previous car, I had a sidelight that wouldn't light with the other one, but would flash away merily with the indicator! Turned out to be (another) blown lamp and a poor earth to the casing.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
There will be a wire bolted to the bodywork make sure its got shiny metal under the terminal and that the wire is tight and not loose

Also try wiggling the rear light connectors and see if the lights start to work in case the connections are poor on them

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Raj, earths for the rear lights are under the boot carpet. There's one each side.

Green light on the dash not working is weird. All the other symptoms point to the rear lights wiring (in the bootlid) but not this. Have you checked the fuse box and relays?

I hate doing electrics :rolleyes:

wrinx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If I may jump in here,
My 2.0 shows that the rear lights dont work on the check panel although they all work, is this the same problem or has anybody got other ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
This is not necesarely an answer but may help.
I also had some times ago rear lamp problems, and find out that under the elastic rubber tub going from chases to boot lid the vires insulation where "broken" (for sure I had also fuses going out)I just simply insulat them with electrical tape and everything is OK since then.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It was a fuse - but not one in the set under the steering column....cost me an hours labour though at the local auto electric place....

thanks for your help
regards
raj

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Err....where was this fuse? All the fuses AND relays listed for lights are under the dash :confused:

.....unless its the "Services" relay :confused:

wrinx

·
Registered
6,944 Posts
When i was fixing a prob with my alarm i pulled off the right hand cover under the steering colum and found some fuses that didnt seem to be listed in the handbook, there were about 5 in total, 1 20A was blown, dont know what it did, replaced it and no difference! was it 1 of these?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.