Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm at the mechanic with gearbox out and he gave up please help. Trying to fix backplate actuator seals, symptoms: oil leaking out from backplate between the position sensor, selespeed fluid in gearbox.I have taken off the back plate, changed the 2 visible seals. How do I dismantle the vertical shaft to clean and change seals??? I removed the c clip now what?

·
Registered
148 Posts
What I did last time was:

Put a rag at the top cover where you have removed the circlip.
Position the backplate together with the rag next to a sturdy suface.
Use airgun and blow into one of the hole where you have changed the seal, I think it was the lower one.

Idea is to push the vertical shaft up with pneumatic pressure so that it hits the cover off. Be careful not to let the cover ricochet off the surface and damage it or hurt yourself.
There are additional sleeve and carrier plus washer in there so try not to let everything fly out otherwise you will spend extra time trying to figure the sequence to put it back.
Also, the last time I had one bad plate with worn hydraulic seal, the shaft moves a bit too freely and will leak oil from the shaft. No idea where to find replacement hydraulic seals. O-rings are common and easy to find though.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts