Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1972 1300GTjunior LHD is going for MOT tomorrow evening 6.30pm...its speedo reads in Kph, do I have to put a conversion scale in mph on/inside the speedo or not?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:thumbs:

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
I thought is was a requirement to have a MPH speedo to register it in the UK though?
(AT, I'm sure that was the case with JC's 996 and GP's old Spider, but I do need more sleep...!!).
So how did you get through with a KPH speedo?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
I'm pretty sure you don't need an MPH speedo. As you say if necessary put a few temporary stickers on for 30, 50, 70 and you'd be covered anyway. I seem to remember somebody putting a race special through with no speedo, just markers on the tacho against specific revs to show a few speeds in top gear.

Not that you can trust a 70's speedo anyway really. Mine over reads by nearly 20% across the scale.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I bought a classic in Germany and brought it into the UK and ran it for 3 yrs, never had a problem with the speedo during MOT's. As menioned, just make sure the milage is recorded in km's.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
As far as I know, even with the new MOT rules as of April this year, a working speedo isn't a requirement for the test, as the car isn't road tested, or put on a rolling road, except brake rollers which don't test the speedo. I'm assuming that your car is already registered in the UK and you have a V5? If so, then it won't need a Single Vehicle Approval (SVA), in which speedometers are tested on a rolling road. Good luck!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am in N Ireland.....its the fisrt time its being registered/MOT and the guy at the government run MOT centre informs me that I must have a dual marked speedo!!

But he is yet to decide if he will issue an advisory notice for me to get done afterwards and then issue the MOT cert. when they verify it!!!

You guys in GB have it so easy!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am in N Ireland.....its the fisrt time its being registered/MOT and the guy at the government run MOT centre informs me that I must have a dual marked speedo!!

But he is yet to decide if he will issue an advisory notice for me to get done afterwards and then issue the MOT cert. when they verify it!!!

You guys in GB have it so easy!!!!!!!!!!!

:cry:
Might be me but that seems a bit 'over the top' - I THINK I'd want to see where its documented that a dual marked speedo is required for a car where it wasn't supplied as original equipment? Even then you may have an argument to say that Alfa don't do them for your model (do they?)???

·
Registered
480 Posts
Is the N. Ireland test really any different? I wouldn't have thought so.

I can't find any reference that says an MOT checks the speedo for anything other than the current odometer reading. Only if they can't use the rolling road brake tester do they take the car on the road and need to know they are doing 20 mph - which you can tell them is 32 kph.

If you are at all concerned just stick on some labels for 30, 40, 50, 60 & 70. You can always peel them off afterwards.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Kph / mph??

My car is RHD and has a KPH speedo, and it has had no markings on the glass, and the MOT tester(s) never even questioned it.....

The last time I went to Ireland the speed limit signs were in MPH, but the distances were all KM!?!? Maybe that is why you need the MPH and KPH speedo!!!!

Having read the rest of the threads properly, it will be because you are gaining SVA approval for it rather than just MOT-ing it that there is this requirement.

Just noticed the time, I hope you got on ok!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Oooppsss........failed on a couple of things after all!

Car hasn't been on road for 10 + years...so still on a learning curve.......headlights are not as they appear, so need more work, the steering idler isn't good, imbalance in breaking at rear axle......AND the first thing he said was I needed dual markings INSIDE speedo...no ifs or buts.....

She needs some more fettling...more miles....more interaction.........BUT was it a pleasure to drive her to MOT centre or what...it was a great rush!!!!

Am off on holiday now for a fortnight, my mechanic will most of it done by the time I get back, MOT costs £30 here, far more rigorous then in GB, plus a re-test fee of £18.50!

·
Registered
30,019 Posts
A working MPH speedo isn't an MOT issue, it isn't tested at all. But it would get noticed in the miles/km were not increasing each year!!
But an MPH speedo is a requirement to register a car in the UK, exactly the same as NI.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Guys, thanks for input so far........so no-one who has a LHD kph car has had to do this?
No. My Spider is LHD and speedo is in KPH. So was my Delta Integrale. It is not an MOT issue. Tell the testing station to record the odometer reading in KM too.

incidentally my Spider was first registered in Italy and on registering here it still had a KPH speedo which posed no problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts