Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
My dad has a facelifted 147 2.0TS. he has just fitted a unichip. I desperately need to know if the installment is correct, to me it sounds extremely dangerous. The installer advanced the timing by 12 notches and added more fuel. to my knowledge its a disaster waiting to happen! the car feels great, alot faster and very smooth delivery. but im so worried that its just untill it seizes. if anyone can help me out pls let me know asap.
Regards,
Adam

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Hi dum455, personally, never been attracted to getting more from a machine than how it was manufactured in the first place, so have never been into 'Chipping/Re-Mapping and all that stuff. Tended to buy a more powerful machine. Drive carefully, hope it gives no problems. Regards,zf

·
Registered
204 Posts
personally i think "chips" should be avoided.
if you dont alter the air flow to compensate for the extra fuel you could be in trouble:(

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thats what i was thinking. apparently he downloaded the setting from the unichip site and programed it into the piggyback. all he did then was install it. then he said if you hear it 'ping' come back. i wasnt there, but i wish i was! thanks for your responses

·
Vendor
46,141 Posts
A piggyback chip destroyed my ECU, caused intermittent immobiliser problems and needed a replacement ECU at cost of £630 (£850 from main stealer)

Good luck with it, but I'd always suggest remapping as opposed to chipping.

How did you attach the piggyback to the ECU? Soldered on or through the communications port?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Hmm, advancing the timing by 12 teeth sounds like madness to me, even 1 tooth will be far from optimal. iirc, the v6 pulleys have 36 teeth (I maybe very wrong) and 12 would be 1/3 of a rotation out!

·
Registered
42,287 Posts
Leave 'em alone sa's i, Alfa no's bst. Well and old git like me would, grandkids know I know nothing! Only I'm a loan source!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for your feedback! thank god its not soldered on! its a seperate box conected to the communication box as u said. the mapping was done through a laptop. i have learnt that the mapping makes the timing adjust per revs. ie. at 1500rpm it starts with 1 notch on the timing and ends up with 12 at 6900rpm. it is going in for final adjustment tomorrow on the rolling road. in all fairness when talking to the guy it really seems he knows what he is doing.

i was thinking about that very point about why didnt Alfa do it? taking into consideration that an Alfa can be bought in countries of 50C and -20C the ECU must have a general safe setting to work reliably and efficiently in all conditions. With the Unichip it optimises performance by mapping it to our specific environment. I could be speaking bullsh#t, but in my head it makes sense :)

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I think you mean the ignition advance timing rather than the cam timing. I doubt the chap has advanced the cams by 12 notches - he won`t have gone anywhere near the mechanical side of things. The chip is presenting a revised 'map' for the ignition advance which is usually described as cam degrees before TDC. Providing that the ECU can still modify the advance if it detects any pinking then this will be safe. If the ECU can't modify the advance then there is the possibility of problems.

Ask the fella about the above but it's likely that the advance can be modified on the fly by the ECU when the engine is in use and so won`t cause any problems. If not, listen very carefully for that pinking noise and if you hear it ask him to reduce the advance!

The extra advance you can get on the ignition timing usually depends on octane so does the chip ask for 97 octane petrol to be used?

(You can get more power from cam timing changes but usually only in conjunction with different cams or by the addition of forced induction or nitrous kits. If you aren`t fitting one of these then touch the timing at your peril. That said, I have been know to add a small advance to give better power in the top end at the expense of lower end but that was on a cheap racing car, not my precious Alfa. Some people retard by a notch to give better caravan towing power.)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks alot Chris! i dont know which timing he adjusted but i will find out. if its for 97 octane petrol it sure as hell isnt getting it here, weve got just about 89! thanks alot for your intel guys!!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
Don't those engines have a knock sensor anyway? If that's the case, I wouldn't have thought it would ever "PINK" and, come to that, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to advance the timng in any case because they always run as much advance as they can by using the knock sensor. This has always puzzled me so if anyone knows about this, I'd be very grateful!

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Don't those engines have a knock sensor anyway? If that's the case, I wouldn't have thought it would ever "PINK" and, come to that, I wouldn't have thought you'd be able to advance the timng in any case because they always run as much advance as they can by using the knock sensor. This has always puzzled me so if anyone knows about this, I'd be very grateful!
That's right, they do have knock sensors. They theoretically run at max advance all the time but in practise the 'map' will start at a certain point and advance upwards, learning as it goes. A chip can put it straight in there at the deep end and force a higher advance from the start.

This is why I mentioned if the chip still allowed the ecu to notice the knock sensor and retard ignition where necessary.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts