Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi chaps and chapettes,

I'm in urgent need of sourcing a Xenon headlamp for a 147 GTA, drivers side, the Alfa list price on this item is ludicrous so trying to get one second hand, best price I've seen is ebspares at £745

If anybody knows of anywhere that may be able to help or if you can help please get in touch asap.

Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Okay getting somewhere, shop4parts can do it at £661.45 inc. vat although that's a 4 week lead time from italy...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Still very expensive. TBH would it not be cheaper replacing both sides with a universal type xenon kit.

Designed for cars with existing Xenon's rather than the halogen to xenon conversion jobbies??

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still very expensive. TBH would it not be cheaper replacing both sides with a universal type xenon kit.

Designed for cars with existing Xenon's rather than the halogen to xenon conversion jobbies??
Dunno, didn't know you could get them, how would that work?

S

·
0 Posts
Blimey fella, thats loads of dosh. I know that didnt help but im sure someone could help you :thumbs:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Buying a pair of standard lamps and splitting them and painting the centres for the GTA look and fitting aftermarket xenons could be done for around 1/3 of the cost of single headlamp, unless it absolutely has to be genuine. Has autolusso or alfa79 is haslingden not got any?

·
Registered
1,573 Posts

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOOHOO

Long story short, Paul at Alfatech managed to fix it, completely stripped the unit and rebuilt it finding their was water ingress that had blown the fuse and the internal workings had come away from their mountings (probably when I grounded out on my spirited video run the other day). Dried it all out and rebuilt and resealed the unit and jobs a good un.

He wasn't in this morning to tell the other guys it was fixed so they didn't know, but hopefully this thread will help someone else in a similar bind later on so nothing lost.

Just waiting to see if there's any suspension damage and I can go pick the beastie back up YAY!!!!

S

·
0 Posts
WOOHOO

Long story short, Paul at Alfatech managed to fix it, completely stripped the unit and rebuilt it finding their was water ingress that had blown the fuse and the internal workings had come away from their mountings (probably when I grounded out on my spirited video run the other day). Dried it all out and rebuilt and resealed the unit and jobs a good un.

He wasn't in this morning to tell the other guys it was fixed so they didn't know, but hopefully this thread will help someone else in a similar bind later on so nothing lost.

Just waiting to see if there's any suspension damage and I can go pick the beastie back up YAY!!!!
Glad it all worked out fella :thumbs:

·
Registered
30,408 Posts
:eek: you need to think about getting some sort of 4x4 BigFoot thing :lol:
Good to hear its sorted :thumbs:

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Brilliant news Sean, I nearly died whe they told me the price of a replacement! :eek:
The guys at Alfatech are awesome! :D

·
Registered
940 Posts
Nice one... i need one of mine sorted.... it went out about a month after the opposite one was replaced.... i guessed that it just needs a replacement bulb :confused: but it has got a bit of condensation in it and the plastic is cracked at the back of the unit.

I have not had chance to see if it is the bulb because of the limited access to it (plus i dont really drive it at night)

where are alfatech based?? could do with someone looking at it rather than me spending all day cursing it removing the bumper etc...

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
Nice one... i need one of mine sorted.... it went out about a month after the opposite one was replaced.... i guessed that it just needs a replacement bulb :confused: but it has got a bit of condensation in it and the plastic is cracked at the back of the unit.

I have not had chance to see if it is the bulb because of the limited access to it (plus i dont really drive it at night)

where are alfatech based?? could do with someone looking at it rather than me spending all day cursing it removing the bumper etc...
They are in Huddersfield, West Yorks
Alfatech, Huddersfield, West Yorkshire, HD1 - Contact Details | iWest Yorkshire

·
Registered
940 Posts
so is your headlight resolved now then?
Me and my partners dad (ex alfa mechanic) are going to remove bumper and check mine today. I have a lot of condensation in my unit, so there is obviously a broken seal or something.
Plan is to remove bumper (carefully :eek:) swap xenon bulb from working side into failed side to check its just the bulb before i order one (not sure how much they are), hopefully it will just be the bulb, if its not what could it be?? i hear people talk of ballast units but i have no idea what one is/does? is that part of the headlight unit?

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so is your headlight resolved now then?
Me and my partners dad (ex alfa mechanic) are going to remove bumper and check mine today. I have a lot of condensation in my unit, so there is obviously a broken seal or something.
Plan is to remove bumper (carefully :eek:) swap xenon bulb from working side into failed side to check its just the bulb before i order one (not sure how much they are), hopefully it will just be the bulb, if its not what could it be?? i hear people talk of ballast units but i have no idea what one is/does? is that part of the headlight unit?
I think you were parked in the row of alfa's at NAD. weren't you? I noticed the drivers lamp was condesnsed as much as mine. Maybe we should have discussed, mine was the one on the other end with TWO :rant: condensed lenses.

AlfaTech said only way they could think of making it moisture tight was by siliconing up the back of it but to be fair the rtate at which side lights go on these things thats wholly impractical.

Be good if you could take some piccies to show the progress and what may be the problem, I have a friend who wont mind helping me take the fornt of my car to bits of needs be to resolve this. I think I may also have cracked the housing or sprung the seals somehow. Need to get it sorted cos it looks crap :cry:

I think from memory the bulbs are around £30, so not that expensive, but chap at AlfaTech said there is a fuse in the uni which can get wet and blow so prob a good idea to check this as well.

·
Registered
940 Posts
rightio g-dog (rapper stylee) I was parked 2 from yours and noticed that 1 of yours had condensation in.. and yes i do regret not finding you for a chat, but was busy either gorping at the other alfas or trying to entertain my missus, mates kid and cousin ... :( sorry
I should have took some pics... will try to remember when we start stripping it all over again and fit a new unit.

So we took off the bumper and removed headlights... swapped bulbs and both bulbs seemed ok, so then there is another device inside the unit that is pluggable (please note my technical wording) looks like a little plastic black box on the inside of the removable rear cover, it has 2 grey cables on it that lead to the xenon bulb and a power supply plug. swapped them and no joy with that either...
Then we turned over the headlight and found the ballast unit (we are presuming). removed the one off the failing headlight and immediatley saw that all the pins and the plug were coated in green stuff (again technical wording, bare with me) so that was promising in negative way. swapped them over and hey presto the working unit stopped working.
So we sprayed it with wd40 and tried cleaning the pins best we could but they are tiny, delicate and not very accessible (similar description to a part of a womens anatomy :eek:). anway still didnt work so i recon the condensation has damged the ballast unit!!:cry: I couldnt see any fuses... but i didnt look any further as i didnt realise there was one till now, and looks fairly certain its the ballast unit anyhow.
So now i am away to find if i can source one rom somewhere...:rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts