Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just swapping the front suspension wishbones and need some advice... I can't get the pinch bolt out at the balljoint end of the arm, and I just wondered if it's threaded through the clamp or not? In other words, once I have the nut off, do I whack the bolt out with a hammer or do I have to wind it out with a spanner?

Any help appreciated, as currently the job is half done with bits of car all over the drive!!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wrinx - thanks for the reply, but I had read that article, it just didn't say whether the bolt was screwed in or just pushed through... after the first of mine didn't want to budge (and still hasn't!) I started on the other side, which I finished within 30 mins! I've been hammering, heating and WD-40ing the first side for chuffing ages now, and it still won't budge!

Why is it there's always a spanner in the works when you try to do a job?!?!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh by the way - a huge thank you to Fletch who I phoned in desperation! He called a couple of people and came back to me with an answer! A pint will be on it's way to you at some point Fletch!!

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
no probs i had similar problem with my anti roll bar droplinks one took 20 mins the other took 5 hrs :mad: i ended up cutting the bugger off well as far as i could get the saw into , i had to use a hand held gas soldering iron to heat it for 3/4 hr before it moved and funny enough this was the first side i tried . is it sorted now ? if you have proper gas equipment then it should be off in 5 mins really .

W

·
0 Posts
Come on Rich.....don't keep us all in suspense, did you manage it in the end???

wrinx

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi all!

Yes, I managed it, and it took a bleeding long time! It was in fact not a bolt through the clamp, but a bas***d. That's where I was going wrong, I was trying to get a bolt out! It finally came out with some *serious* hammering - but once it did come out, there appeared to be some glazing on the bolt - maybe some kind of corrosion...?

But all done now, and even though the arms that I removed weren't as floppy as I thought they'd be, the ride and handling is way better now, and a lot quieter too!!

Thanks to all those who helped and offered advice - namely Wrinx and Fletch!!

S

·
0 Posts
When i did my wishbones one of the bolts sheared.
I couldn,t lift it out cause the anti roll bar was in the road so i had to jam it up as high as i could and sit with a hacksaw blade for 1 1/4 hours to cut it off,and that was after heating it with oxy acetylene gear
Regards
Shug

T

·
0 Posts
I'm just about to do my wishbones. You lot have put me right off :(

Maybe I'll have a few pints before I start.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
They're not as bad as I've made them sound... if that one bolt wasn't ceased, I'd have had them both done within an hour. I have two tips for you: 1. start squirting the WD-40 on the bolts at least a couple of days before you do the work, concentrating particularly on the ball joint pinch bolt. 2. remove the ball joint pinch bolt before any other bolt - it makes hammering it out a lot easier, rather than trying to hammer something out of a wobbly, unattached wishbone! (I learned this one the hard way!)

They are a tad fiddly to do - you will have to tap and wiggle the wishbone into place using various combinations of hammer, lever, jack and brute force.

Oh, and one other tip - keep your eye on the anti-roll bar drop link rubbers - it'll really p**s you off when you find them on the floor after you've just got the wishbone in place!!

But no, it really isn't a bad job... even for the non-technically minded. Have fun!

T

·
0 Posts
Was that supposed to make me feel better? eek!

Perhaps whisky might be better than a couple of pints before I start. Keep me lubricated if not the wishbones :D

Thanks for the advice. I'll follow your suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts