Alfa Romeo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody know a good source for piston rings ? I've ordered some from Alfa which are on back order for at least two weeks which is no sodding good to me.

Thx,

Jeff.

G

·
Last time I ordered parts by back order they told me the same: "It could take two weaks or more".
But after a coupleof there I got the call to fetch them at the Alfa Dealer. eek!

G

·
The other side of the story is my replacement quarter light glass. On back order for over two weeks now :(

Sorry, dunno a source for the piston rings.

wrinx

G

·
"Back order", :mad: don't talk to me about back order. I await a stick of touch paint which I ordered from my local Alfa dealer. I ordered this 10 weeks ago.
The garage despite promising to call me back (after I call them and they agree thats its ridiculous, the length of time its taking), never ever call me back. :mad:
Now I know this is probably not the biggest nor the most profitable order the garage has, but I do expect a better service than this !

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 155 is my 6th Alfa since 1989 and the first one I've had engine problems with. Getting hold of pistons rings from anywhere other than Alfa is more than enough grief.

G

·
Hi Angel
I've just read the sad story of your drowned engine :( . But, you seem like a competent fellow.
Do you know who supply pistons to Alfa (/Fiat group (Mahle?)), if you do, the supplier might have a UK agent. Try them as they will be supplying the engine recondition trade and might be able to deliver quickly (they even might be cheaper wink ).
If you haven’t got your rings, good luck with the above.
PS! What does people in the trade say about just changing one (out of four) piston and conrod?
Alfisti regards
Erik

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Also, give these a try;

http://www.fpsdistribution.com

Don't know what they're like, I've just seen their vans around, but you'd think with them being called Ferraris Piston Service, they might know a thing or two about rings! Good luck.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I now have the rings !!!! I got a call out of the blue last Thursday from Alfa to say the rings had arrived (almost two weeks ahead of schedule). I'll have the bottom end built up before the week is out.

I believe that most garages would have only replaced the conrod, rings & end bearings for number one cylinder on my engine. I thought it good form to replace the rings and end bearings for the other three cylinders as well given that I've stipped the engine. The engine has only done 51k so will be back to 'running in' condition when I've finished. A new cam variator is going in as well.

I'm even thinking of selling the car once it's back on the road.

G

·
Hi Angel
You're right in changing all ring and bearings after the strip down - which is a good move to get any hidden water out of the lubricating system; it's made enough ravage, already.
Good luck on the running in - always takes all your patience. :(
Alfisti regards
Erik

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
alfashop set of 4 £83.90plus vat 01603 426 277 or ask dragon engines who re condition alfa engines for £950-£1250 for 1.8 16v add £450 if you dont have exchange engine give them a call on 01246 859 200 hope this helps, did you get the locking caps for camshaft? :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah I got the cam locks but I had to buy the kit which included the cam locks for the smaller twin cam engines so I ended up shelling out £125.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts