Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok firstly I was trying to remove my dials to replace the black ones with silver ones. Had it unscrewed and realised I couldn't take it out - steering column is in the way! I wanted to turn the steering wheel but the steering lock won't undo - mainly because the key won't turn any more than about 20 degrees. I've tried turning and pushing every which way and nothing works :cry: Thought having the dials out may have locked it up so you can't drive with no speedo etc but I've slotted it back in (but not re-screwed) and they lit up so it's definitely connected again...

Second, when I got out I locked the car. My key is very temperamental and will lock on first press of the button but sometimes takes a while to unlock. However this time it WILL NOT unlock :cry: I don't have the spare key anymore as it was destroyed in attempt to fix it (that one didn't work at all), and although I can unlock with the key, I can't cancel the alarm until I start the car...

Anybody got any ideas what to do?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok step two is resolved - just needs a few hours between each try! Anybody have a clue why the steering and key are both locked?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
Is it just jammed? Have you tried turning the steering wheel to release the pressure on the steering lock.

As for the gauges, just lower the column as far as it will go.

PS Black dials are actually nicer ... that's my opinion anyway! ;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been trying to wiggle the steering wheel but there is no backlash in it whatsoever. I park on a hill so I pressed the brake and released the hand brake to see if edging it forward while trying to turn the wheel helps with no luck.

I had the column as for low as possible and it wouldn't move far enough to come out... Plus the silver ones are better for my colourblindness - I often can't see the red needle against the black dial, sidelights on helps but not if the sun is preventing me from seeing them!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh thank f*** for that! Went down for another try - still the same, like I was trying to turn Ayers rock with my bare hands then all of a sudden it gave in! Got really p***ed off and gave it a massive yank and all is well again.

...Well except for the fact I need a new gearbox :cheese:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts