Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

I'm in a real pickle. Currently on holidays in Spain. I've managed to lock the key in my 159 Sportwagon. I used the "boot only" button on the key fob to get something out of the boot. I think I accidentally left the key in the groove between the car frame & the boot. Then I closed the boot. (I didn't even release this could happen, but there you go). Of course now, the boot has automatically locked & I can't get it open.

I can access the car, because luckily, the rear window was halfway down, so I could reach inside & open the door. It set the alarm off, but once I close the door, the alarm switches off. I folded down the rear seats & searched everywhere in the boot, but can't find the key. Hence, I think I left the key in the groove where the boot engages the body.

My question is this - how can I open the boot manually from inside the car? I know there was a boot release under the rear seat in my 159 saloon, but according to the user manual, the Sportwagons don't have this. If I can get it opened manually, I'll have to have my second key sent by overnight courier from Ireland to Spain, so any help much appreciated. It's easier & less expensive than getting the AA top organise a new key for me through Alfa. I only have sporadic wifi here, so will check back later.

Anyway,

·
Registered
27 Posts
According to the manual there is a release under the seat squab on the near side (going from memory from reading the manual a few nights ago after I bought the car).

I can search when I get home, or alternatively I'm sure you can find a pdf of the manual on google.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The lever is on the right hand side and you need to push it towards the left (towards the centre)
Thx - I'll give that a try & see how I get on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to the manual there is a release under the seat squab on the near side (going from memory from reading the manual a few nights ago after I bought the car).

I can search when I get home, or alternatively I'm sure you can find a pdf of the manual on google.
Thx.. but that's only for the saloon (I had one previously)

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The red release cord is in the side storage cubby just behind the wheel arch : if you were entering from the tailgate ( which you are not ..) it would be inside the r/h side one, just hanging down. Pull the loop and it should open....hope this reply is not too late?

NB Hope this release is for the boot and not the petrol cap flap....?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
My SW has a boot release button on the overhead switches near internal lights? Doesn't yours?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Problem finally solved. I crawled back into the boot. After much blood, sweat & swearing, I managed to wedge my finger into the gap between the frame & bootlid just enough to press the unlock button on the key fob. Then I was able to hop out & unlock the boot.

Thanks for all the replies. Mine is a 2010 Sportwagon, so it seems there is no internal / manual release option.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Problem finally solved. I crawled back into the boot. After much blood, sweat & swearing, I managed to wedge my finger into the gap between the frame & bootlid just enough to press the unlock button on the key fob. Then I was able to hop out & unlock the boot.

Thanks for all the replies. Mine is a 2010 Sportwagon, so it seems there is no internal / manual release option.
Nothing in the r/h side locker? Mine was a 2008 however.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
The red string in the RH locker is the fuel flap release.

Early Sportwagons had a ceiling release and later Sportwagons have a boot badge release. The saloons needed a cord for the boot release because there was no way into the boot. It's easy to get into a Sportwagon boot.

The 156 had a problem where the two levers on the lock got reversed. Usually because of trapping something (bag handle?) as the boot was closed. The fix was difficult because you needed to get in with a blade to slide the two levers apart. Many posts on how to construct a blade on the end of a broom handle. I'm guessing this is the reason for the cord on 159 saloons.

From my picture above you can see how easy it is to release a 159 Sportwagon by sliding a blade down the side of the lock.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Only on early ones. But the car is locked with the key trapped in the seal.
precisely, since face lifting (cars manufactured since 2008) there is no roof release booton but instead alfa badge on boot lid is the button. this applies to both saloon and sw.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The red string in the RH locker is the fuel flap release.

Early Sportwagons had a ceiling release and later Sportwagons have a boot badge release. The saloons needed a cord for the boot release because there was no way into the boot. It's easy to get into a Sportwagon boot.

The 156 had a problem where the two levers on the lock got reversed. Usually because of trapping something (bag handle?) as the boot was closed. The fix was difficult because you needed to get in with a blade to slide the two levers apart. Many posts on how to construct a blade on the end of a broom handle. I'm guessing this is the reason for the cord on 159 saloons.

From my picture above you can see how easy it is to release a 159 Sportwagon by sliding a blade down the side of the lock.
Makes sense given its location. Ironically my new car dispenses totally with a locking cap and just has a flap that is free to open but with a restrictor over the tube that seals it until a petrol pump nozzle is inserted. Fiat claim so many caps are broken by miscreants forcing the flap, it's better to leave it unlocked..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts