Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is a longshot but I am in desperate need of a xenon headlight unit for a 156. Mine is dead and sat on the ramp at the Alfa dealership.
Anyone have any ideas where i can get one??

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
What part of it is dead?

VERY rare for them to come up s/h.

New OEM fit D2S HID bulbs are available easily from many places including HIDs4U.co.uk
If it is the ballast unit, a new one from Alfa isn't much either. You don't have to buy the whole headlight unit.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I got a bulb but it turns out that where the ballast bolts onto the bottom of the light is all green? Water damage? No water in the light though. At auto electricians now. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
Or a new ballast from Alfa at around £70

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took the whole unit to an auto electricians. They suggested i swap the ballast from good light over to check. IT WORKED! All i need is a ballast - £151 + TAT :)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks everyone for all their replies. Without the forum for advice and opinions i would have been stuck a long time ago! :D

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
All I need is a new ballast - £151 + VAT.
Dave C, above, says they cost around £70 so it might pay you to shop around.

Either way AO has saved you a big wedge of cash again. ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was thinking of shoppig about but the cars on the ramp at Alexanders so i don't have a lot of time. And the loan car has to be back tonight also.

But yes this forum is easilly the best way to save money (about £500 in this case!!). So if your out there and lurking thinking "shall I join up properly or not . . ??" DO IT!! :) Put something back into the AO community as I did. Its only £25 a year and just think of how much money you can save thanks to the people that make the site what it is.
Servers aren't free and time is priceless. Make things easier and better all round - sign up :D

·
Premium Member
7,631 Posts
Glad you have it sorted, next time you need bits try....

Alternative autos in huddersfield
EBSpares
Alfaworkshop
shop4parts.co.uk

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
This is one of the biggest problems of these lights

They are VERY susceptible to water damage due to their mounting method and position.

Other marks use Water Proof ballasts where the entire electronics have been "potted".

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was thinking that to save me going through all this again - does anybody have a way or can think of a way I can 'add' my own waterproofing? Maybe something that I can spray on to repel the water?

·
Registered
30,171 Posts
I don't know if the OEM ballasts are fixed in their position on the bottom of the lights, but if they can be moved it would be a good idea.
The area under the lights will get water onto it from the front and through any gap in the undertray.

I put my aftermarket ballasts behind the headlights.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking of moving them but the plug is on the underside of the light and the socket is actually in the ballast itself - they plug into wach other. So I won't be able to move them :(
I was thinking of a good coating of a teflon based spray of some sort maybe?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I was thinking of moving them but the plug is on the underside of the light and the socket is actually in the ballast itself - they plug into wach other. So I won't be able to move them :(
I was thinking of a good coating of a teflon based spray of some sort maybe?
If you still have the broken ballast, practice "Potting" it.

Potting Solutions Technology of Potting

·
Registered
381 Posts
Sound like you just need a new ballast then mate!

is it for the facelift car?

Whole units are £317 here...

Alfa 156 Headlight (xenon) 04>
Just wondering due to the HID upgrades that you can buy but not been legal in many peoples eyes if 2 of these light units was purchased and head lamp washers were installed what else would you need to have working legal xenons such as is the lamp unit complete with ballast and bulbs and what wiring alterations?
thanks all :thumbs:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts