Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted here so i can post the pic

last thursday miss phil155 got some grapes from the co-op buy one get one free, we had gone through one lot so started on the second.

earlier tonight after giving some to our 13 month old daughter we noticed a pod of eggs in there so i looked closer and saw there was a spider with the eggs.

these grapes were from south africa and the spider was quite light in colour with two quite big hard black fangs?
i dont know if it a venomous spider but if it had of gone walkies and bit our babe:rant: :rant: :rant: :tut: or even the eggs hatching:wow:

any way i phoned co-op HQ and they were nice about it but they wanted me to get it to them ASAP. they said they would identify the spider and write back to me.

now, me being me i want sommat out of this:lol: that spider could of done some serious harm!!!

any advice to what i can do - get? i seem to remember this happening at sainsburys once and the woman got £500 of vouchers:wow: :cool:
should i threaten them to go to the tabloids?:lol:

obviously they want it in their hands to stop it going further so i want to get them first:D

heres a pic of the little bugger

M

·
0 Posts
We've had cobwebs (but no trace of eggs or spiders) in our bags of grapes sometimes Phil

·
Registered
6,455 Posts
Although unlikely, and that we cant see it's 'behind' (HM :tut: :) )

Does it look like this:

miturg.jpg

looks too small to be this, any more pictures available?

·
Registered
30,126 Posts
Squash it real hard ;) There was a baby Scorpion at Mitcar last August in a box of models brought by Italian Minitures :eek:

It got dispatched by a hammer blow :(

·
Registered
429 Posts
i used to work in a timber store, we bought our solid core door blanks from brazil.

wasn't uncommon to find all sort of beasties coming out when the crates were opened !
most common were cockroach type things, but occasionally you'd get spiders, some of which were the size of the palm of your hand !!

legally you probably don't have too much recourse ? it normally says "wash before use" when you buy fruit, that's when you would have noticed the spider.

morally, i'd say you have some kind of power over the shop, i'd suspect huge settlements are out of the question, but keep pushing, you may get some vouchers or something ?

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
I just put the grapes I bought on friday in the bin.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
That's why this '5 a day' stuff is all b***ocks. 5 more chances for something nasty like that to bite you.

You never hear stories about spiders, scorpions, or other bitey creepy stinging things in Jaffa Cakes do you? Eat more chocolate biscuits, that's what I say.

Leave the fruit to the animals.

;)

·
Registered
33,643 Posts
That's why this '5 a day' stuff is all b***ocks. 5 more chances for something nasty like that to bite you.

You never hear stories about spiders, scorpions, or other bitey creepy stinging things in Jaffa Cakes do you? Eat more chocolate biscuits, that's what I say.

;)
:cheese:

·
Premium Member
38,310 Posts
Just take it out to the garden and treat it as a pet. :D

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
Well phil, ya wanted something with a bit of body in it !! what ye complainin for !! I'd be more worried about bird flu where you are mate !!! :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,467 Posts
Just take it out to the garden and treat it as a pet. :D
I would not do that !!! :tut: The spider is a sac (or sack ???) spider, they are poisonous, thoug not lethal.
The toxin literally digests the flesh around the bite wound, so a bite from this spider normally ends up making an ugly scar.

A tip to anyone buying fruit, no matter where they come from.... ALWAYS wash it before consuming it, pestisides etc do not always wash off in the first "wash" the fruit get before shipping...

Phil, that could hve been potentially dangerous for your baby, I'm glad you saw the spider before any damage was done.

I do not kill any spiders around (or even inside) the house, except sac spiders and the one or two black widows that I've found in the past.

Sac spiders normally nest in the folds of curtains, bedspreads etc. when they nest inside a house, in their natural environment they would typically nest in trees, or fruit, like Phil's pic shows.

Close call !! :eek:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

;)
I`m with you mate ... furits for birds and wombats and stuff

·
Registered
5,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks eric:D

by the way i called the co-op HQ up again and they said had i returned it yet, i said no im waiting for the paper and tv reporters to come round ..............you should of heard the woman stutter :lol:
she said please hold , and when she came back she said right i can get someone to come round straight away and collect it LMAO :lol: i said no not untill the tabloids have been :lol:

M

·
0 Posts
thanks eric:D

by the way i called the co-op HQ up again and they said had i returned it yet, i said no im waiting for the paper and tv reporters to come round ..............you should of heard the woman stutter :lol:
she said please hold , and when she came back she said right i can get someone to come round straight away and collect it LMAO :lol: i said no not untill the tabloids have been :lol:

Keep'em worried:lol:

·
Registered
15,686 Posts
Right, firstly: I regret opening this thread despite reading its title, as I've now been thoroughly put off me supper!! I fecking hate spiders!! :eek:

Secondly, loving the fact you;re making them sweat a bit! Just thank God the little thing give any of your family a little shock!! You keeping him safely locked away at night? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts