Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I was driving my G QV home from work today and all of a sudden the odometer starts blinking.:eek: I think it started at around 4750 km on the odometer. I stopped and restarted the car and it still keeps on blinking. :confused:

I will call my dealer tomorrow but wondered if anyone had a clue as to what it might be?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
86,834 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Happened to me last week together with complete failure of the ac system - nothing was working and the lights surrounding the dials was on no matter what - even when I turned off the car.

I disconnected the (-) of the battery and it solved it.

However it probably only solved the outcome and not the cause...

M

·
0 Posts
I heard that if you set the AC manually and it works out it can't reach the target air temperature the odo flashes... can't remember where I read that so I'm probably lieing through my teeth but thought i'd say... actually might have been the mito lounge. Was it very hot in the car at the time?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
It's not the odo that flashes but AC temp indicator.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine did this too. I took it back to the dealer who got it fixed easily. They told me it was because i must have been pressing the bluetooth button too much and had thrown the system into confusion . That was ******** i think but it was easy fixed :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
Mine has done this 6 times in 9 months.
Disconnect the battery for a few mins then reconnect. You will have to reset the power steering by turning the wheel fully left then fully right.
also you may have to reset the windows by lowering them fully and then raising them fully.
Job done.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
hgt - if it's doing it that often, then take it in to the dealer and get them to reset the canbus. Disconnecting the battery may be masking the problem - it may be that your software needs a reconfig.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine started this today. I dont notice it affecting anything. Bluetooth to my phone works fine and no impact on using my phone as hard drive for my tunes. Anybody else got rid of this without disconnecting the battery or going into the dealers? Frankly i cant be bothered doing either of those:confused:

N

·
0 Posts
Try letting the car run all it's start-up checks before starting the car.

The 147s were prone to this and that helped with them.

;)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Is there anything that would let me know when all these checks have completed? I have a diesel so wait until the heater lights gone out before starting anyway, which tends to correspond with the other lights setting themselves also.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Can't speak for diesels but for petrol when the fuel guage needle has steadied seems to be a safe indication that all checks have completed. It is certainly true that you can get some bizarre engine and electrics behaviour if the checks have not completed when the engine is turned on. A good rule of thumb seems to be turn ignition on, put on seat belt, fire up engine. Not much help for a quick get away but hey ho.

·
Registered
114 Posts
going into the dealers on friday. Interestingly a friend of mine who's wife has a fiat 500 says this happens occasionally on that car aswell.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You will have to reset the power steering by turning the wheel fully left then fully right.
I was reading this thread and noticed HGT's comment about the steering. Can you explain what this means? I wasn't aware that the steering was software controlled. My wife has had a 1.4MA for a few weeks and loves it to bits.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The steering is dual pinion and is software controlled, IE it changes mode when you go into 'D'.
Sometimes if you disconnect the battery and reconnect you will get an error message in the dash display.
It tells you in the handbook how to reset it.

·
Registered
13,815 Posts
Just to revive this thread, my car did this this morning...odo is flashing and AC is not working.

I"ll disconnect the batery when I get home from workk and see what happens...

Joys of owning an Alfa i suppose!!!:cheese:

·
Registered
274 Posts
On the Fiat 500's, this indicated a proxy alignment was needed - ie a dealer plug in to the canbus.

We had it quite a few times in my gf's 500 - I ignored it to be honest. Cant remember any occasions where it stayed flashing after driving, turning off and then turning on again the next time, although off and on again straight away never seemed to get rid of it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts