Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of getting the Q2 fitted and I was asked which gear oil I wanted: either the oil used in the diesel Q2 cars or the stuff used in the GTA. I didn't realise the diesles used different oil in the gearbox but wonder which would be best?:confused:

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
Shouldn't the people fitting it know?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shouldn't the people fitting it know?
It's being done by the dealer and they haven't fitted one before and as I'm so fussy (long standing customer so they know me well by now :lol: ) they checked in case I knew something they didn't.

·
Registered
25,673 Posts
That's a bit scary, that the dealer with access to whatever resources a dealer should have doesn't know... mind you they probably fix peoples cars from popup books and step by step pdfs. :lol:

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's a bit scary, that the dealer with access to whatever resources a dealer should have doesn't know... mind you they probably fix peoples cars from popup books and step by step pdfs. :lol:
They aren't an official dealership now ,just a service centre. Nothing to do with poor service, just Alfas stupidity in thinking that one dealer for the whole of Northern Ireland is a good idea.

Having said that the techy bloke there is pretty good and I trust him with the car. He has a GTA of his own and the garage have agreed a price which, for a dealership, is reasonable as they reckon it'll take a bit longer (as it's their first Q2 transplant) and they don't want to rush things. They've also got a 147 GTA in with a destroyed gearbox after the diff went so they'll have plenty of practice.

BTW Alfa told them the diff only fits the diesels :lol: :rolleyes: so I can hardly blame them for querying the gearbox oil.

I've just been told that they've pretty much got everything back together but want to keep the car until tomorrow to do a proper test drive (yeah right :lol: ) and ensure there are no complications or oil leaks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
hi big jon i am from northern ireland as well, derry to be exact and my car is in with alfa in coleraine gettin a new diff and gearbox! getting the q2 when i get it back and hadnt decided who to let do it yet! wer r u getting urs done and how much is it costing you to buy and fit the diff! thanks

·
Registered
43 Posts
A friend of clubGTA in spain found out enough on this topic and they recommended to him to use Motul Gear 300 75W90 since it has better properties that that of factory. I still have not put the Q2 but when I do it surely it will be with this oil.

It can be that in Ireland it is not very important because it does not do so much heat.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hi big jon i am from northern ireland as well, derry to be exact and my car is in with alfa in coleraine gettin a new diff and gearbox! getting the q2 when i get it back and hadnt decided who to let do it yet! wer r u getting urs done and how much is it costing you to buy and fit the diff! thanks
Hi Mark, I guess it must be your GTA sitting in Roadside then.:(

That's where I'm getting mine done. I'm the guinea pig so they should be able to sort yours out easily enough.

Just out of interest how old is your car and how many miles? Are Alfa helping out with the repair bill?

Edit: Ok, just seen your other thread. At least Alfa are helping out a bit. My car is 2005 with 31000 miles so I'm probably better getting it sorted now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
yes red, number plate gbz 147 thats mines alrite! i didnt think that they would fit the q2! must fone them 2 morrow and find out how far along they are with mine! will u keep me updated on how gud of a job they do wen u get it bak

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes red, number plate gbz 147 thats mines alrite! i didnt think that they would fit the q2! must fone them 2 morrow and find out how far along they are with mine! will u keep me updated on how gud of a job they do wen u get it bak
Yes, no problem. I get mine back tomorrow all being well so I'll let you know.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Q2 is highly recommended and Roadside did a first class job.

Just to point out that I paid for this myself and Alfa have had no financial input at all.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds good Jon.I'll be interested to hear your views on the Q2 at the next NIIMC meeting.

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sounds good Jon.I'll be interested to hear your views on the Q2 at the next NIIMC meeting.
Dave, I'd recommend you get this done asap. On the drive back from Coleraine I gave it a bootfull out of the wee roundabout at Ballymoney (you know the one at the bottom of the hill from Coleraine, where left takes you to Portrush and right to Ballymoney) and it just pulled. No wheelspin, no torquesteer. I must admit I had a little chuckle to myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
sounds good i think ill just get them to do it! was talkin to them 2day and they informed me that they had to put a new clutch in because the oil leaked on it so another nightmare! but it will be ready tomorrow to pick up! how long did they take to do urs and how much did u pay if u dnt mind me asking!

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
sounds good i think ill just get them to do it! was talkin to them 2day and they informed me that they had to put a new clutch in because the oil leaked on it so another nightmare! but it will be ready tomorrow to pick up! how long did they take to do urs and how much did u pay if u dnt mind me asking!
I guess if your car is ready tomorrow then it's too late as they'd have to order the diff etc.

I'm not sure how long they took on the car just that they hadn't a chance to test drive it and make sure there were no leaks etc, until this morning.

As for price, well as they hadn't done one before I agreed a price beforehand which probably didn't cover the time they ended up spending on the car. It was more than the prices being charged by the independants on the mainland but not as much as being charged full dealer rate. Still, it was expensive enough but a justifiable cost considering the number of failures that have been posted here.

·
Registered
926 Posts
This is going to get expensive Jon.First I need the Red Dot re-map and now a Q2! Think I'll probably go for the diff first,I am more than happy with the performance as it is!Haven't yet come across any car that can sit with the GTA!I'll maybe talk to Roadside next time I'm down that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts