Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry all but seriously worrying about my 53 147 selespeed gearbox.

Tried earlier to engage first gear from neutral and the "1" flashed up and then went back to neutral.
Turned the engine on and off as this has reset faults before but still same problem (in either city or man)
Found out i could engage 2nd with two push ups so got the car moving thinking it may sort itself out...bad idea. It wont change up or down and then after trying to turn around in someones drive i found reverse also doesnt work.

PLEASE if anyone has any idea or thing for me to look at i would be very pleased to know as I am currently seeing £££££££!!!!

James

·
Registered
313 Posts
can you hear the pump priming as you open the door, has it given you any warning at all, if it hasnt it might be the relay thats gone on you...its a small black cube located around there in the engine bay try giving it a tap with the back of a screwdriver to try and make the prongs connect to give you power to the pump...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
can you hear the pump priming as you open the door, has it given you any warning at all, if it hasnt it might be the relay thats gone on you...its a small black cube located around there in the engine bay try giving it a tap with the back of a screwdriver to try and make the prongs connect to give you power to the pump...

hiya, when i open the passenger door thepump sounds as per normal. I looked on here and did the oil level check (put car in mar, move gear a bit till the pump starts and then goes off). I checked the oil level and i think it may be low but its very tricky to see.

I have had no warnings and whilst i hope it is just the oil level is it normal for even say a drop to min could cause such major problems??

·
Registered
313 Posts
what year is the car and is there any history with the pump?? while in mar take the gearbox through all the shifts and it should pump at every second shift...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
what year is the car and is there any history with the pump?? while in mar take the gearbox through all the shifts and it should pump at every second shift...
Its a 52 plate with no history I believe with the pump. Will have to try the test you mentioned tomorrow and hope it is an oil issue

·
Registered
313 Posts
whats a 52 plate, does that mean 2002?? and when was the last time the gearbox was calibrated it could have something to do with that also...at the end of the day they are complex things and getting it to a mechanic to check out would probably be the best thing to do...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sounds like your odd gear solenoid has given up. Are you able to engage 3rd and 5th? That would be the case if you can engage 2nd and 4th only...

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds like your odd gear solenoid has given up. Are you able to engage 3rd and 5th? That would be the case if you can engage 2nd and 4th only...
sorry mate have no idea what that means!!!! the only gear i can engage is 2nd. Got some new hydraulic oil on route so will try that out as I think it looked low last night

1 - 11 of 11 Posts