Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now we all know (I hope) that the Dalek's had trouble negotiating stairs

but, on a related subject, have any of you suddenly dashed up the stairs with
intent and then got there and completely forgot why you did. then ponder for a few seconds
and then descend, only to suddenly realise what you meant to do and then dash
back up again ... It's happened to me more than once

My only explanation for that is that the reason you go upstairs is so trivial that
bigger things weigh on your mind as you ascend ... meaning it is entirely possible
that going up the stairs is a good time to "contemplate" as it seems to anchor the
mind on what's important

...I'd be amazed if anyone understands that:eek::lol:

·
Registered
Mercedes Benz 190E
17,745 Posts
your stairs = my kitchen.

i have walked in there countless times and then muttered, 'now, what did i need from here?' Puzzled, and question unanswered, I walk out, only to remember what i needed from the kitchen in bed at 3am. Come the waking hours, i've forgotten it all over again.

·
Registered
37,651 Posts
I don't! I am in a fractious mood (I watched the news!!) so I will take issue with your statement. In your scenario you return downstairs only to remember what you needed, then go back up to get/do it.

Yet you contend that the time allowed you to focus on what was 'important', where what you were doing initially was not, but still return upstairs to get/do what was not?

Nah, not working for me :(

I think it is the booze rotting the brain ;)

·
Registered
20,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't! I am in a fractious mood (I watched the news!!) so I will take issue with your statement. In your scenario you return downstairs only to remember what you needed, then go back up to get/do it.

Yet you contend that the time allowed you to focus on what was 'important', where what you were doing initially was not, but still return upstairs to get/do what was not?

Nah, not working for me :(

I think it is the booze rotting the brain ;)
Then I think it hasn't happened to you yet ... it will, you can be as fractious as you
like, I think you protest too much - and that it happens to you all the time ... you just forgot
while walking to get the remote

I knew you wouldn't get it:)

·
Administrator
23,041 Posts
It happens to me and I understand completly. I am sure it is partly an age thing - started in my early 40's - although I go along with the theory that what you were going to do was so boring that you start to think of something else and then forget.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
It happens regularly to me - but at least it helps with keeping fit.

I've reached the stage where, when I bend down to tie my laces, I have a good think about anything else that needs to be done while I'm down there.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I do it all the time, sometimes I never actually find out what I was up for in the first place, I agree with Paul that it seems to be an age thing

P

·
0 Posts
There were three old ladies Gertrude, Sophie and Mary sharing a house together. They are sitting at the kitchen table when Mary says..." I think I'll go upstairs and have a bath". She goes upstairs, runs the bath and puts one foot in. Then she yells out to the others "Was I getting into the bath or coming out"?

Sophie says she better check what is happening and starts walking up the stairs. Half way up she yells out to Gertrude "Was I going upstairs or downstairs"? That gets sorted out.

Gertrude remains at the kitchen table and says, "Thank goodness I still have all my wits about me ... Knock on wood". She knocks the kitchen table and the looks around and says "Was that the front door or the back door.?" :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts