Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
Its about time my GTV V6 (phase 2) had its suspension uprated. Looking for some suggestions on dampers and springs please....do I need to look any further than Bilstein and Eibach? I'm not looking for 'Track type' or really stiff handing, or to particularly lower the car, just give it an improvement.
Should I look to do anything else, kind of related, at the same time?
If Bilstein is the way to go - which ones?
Many thanks.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Suspension is probably the most subjective subject after what oil and tyres do you recommend. Personally I’ve got Eibachs on my Twinnie with Monroes up front and KYBs at the back. 20mm doesn’t sound much but I think the car looks much better lowered and I like the way it feels when driving. Others have described a similar set up as harsh and crashy with some swapping back to OEM after a test drive. That said... if you’ve still got the original shocks and springs, almost anything will be an improvement.

It is very easy to get carried away. With the rear springs out, you can easily change the spring pans and/or bushes. And if you’re doing them, you might as well do the dog legs and other bushes and if they’re out then you might as well get it all powder coated. At the front there’s easy access to the wishbones and drop links etc. Before you know it, your £200 springs have cost you thousands.

·
Registered
612 Posts
The Bilsteins were awesome but do not believe they are produced anymore

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good tyres and the right air pressure make a massive difference with these cars. I have Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres. I use a dewalt dcc018n tyre inflator to keep them topped up regularly. I was going to fit a strut bar to my gtv but after the new tyres it doesn't seem necessary anymore.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Good tyres and the right air pressure make a massive difference with these cars. I have Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres. I use a dewalt dcc018n tyre inflator to keep them topped up regularly. I was going to fit a strut bar to my gtv but after the new tyres it doesn't seem necessary anymore.
Totally agree on that. My car came with new Sportiva tyres when I bought it, and man is it a hard ride on every little bump. Friend has Dunlop's which is a huge difference in ride quality, especially with "good" roads here in the Balkans.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Suspension is probably the most subjective subject after what oil and tyres do you recommend. Personally I’ve got Eibachs on my Twinnie with Monroes up front and KYBs at the back. 20mm doesn’t sound much but I think the car looks much better lowered and I like the way it feels when driving. Others have described a similar set up as harsh and crashy with some swapping back to OEM after a test drive. That said... if you’ve still got the original shocks and springs, almost anything will be an improvement.

It is very easy to get carried away. With the rear springs out, you can easily change the spring pans and/or bushes. And if you’re doing them, you might as well do the dog legs and other bushes and if they’re out then you might as well get it all powder coated. At the front there’s easy access to the wishbones and drop links etc. Before you know it, your £200 springs have cost you thousands.
Thanks for that....never as easy as you think, always more to have a go at! Anti roll bar bushes also worth changing?

·
Registered
184 Posts
Good tyres and the right air pressure make a massive difference with these cars. I have Michelin Pilot sport 4 tyres. I use a dewalt dcc018n tyre inflator to keep them topped up regularly.
Out if interest what pressures do you run them at?

To the OP the Alfaholics suspension upgrade is well regarded - have a look.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Thanks for that....never as easy as you think, always more to have a go at! Anti roll bar bushes also worth changing?
I could be wrong but as far as I know getting the front ARB out is easier said than done. I believe you need to drop the subframe. The rear is a little easier... I had mine powerflexed a few years ago so there was nothing else worth doing at the back apart from springs and shocks.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I could be wrong but as far as I know getting the front ARB out is easier said than done. I believe you need to drop the subframe. The rear is a little easier... I had mine powerflexed a few years ago so there was nothing else worth doing at the back apart from springs and shocks.
Did you take it somewhere to have the Powerflex bushes done? Or do it yourself?

·
Registered
184 Posts
It depends on how knackered yours are. If the drop links are OK and the springs aren't corroded then why replace them? Unless you have to cut the drop links to get them out of course. I think that kit is designed to work with standard springs rather than lowered / stiffened ones.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Did you take it somewhere to have the Powerflex bushes done? Or do it yourself?
I took the GTV to Autolusso but we are talking the best part of 10 years ago which was before I started working on the Alfas myself. I’ve currently got a box full of new Powerflex bushes in the garage with spring pans, dog legs, wishbones etc in various states of refurbishment that I’ll be fitting to the Spider myself probably next winter.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts