Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of new suspension for my GTA. I've heard all I need to do is lower by 15mm, use Koni FSD dampers and get an Eibach anti-roll bar kit.
Has anyone done this? What do you think?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Yeah can do... think its works well. Other option is coilovers by a few respected makers.

Top choice tends to be Kw versions.. I,m running BC racing set up and after some tweaking and springs rates altered its doing well.

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
If it's anything like mine the 'all you need to do' will turn into at least 3 months work :rolleyes:

You have to get the subframe out to do the front arb, and if everything had rusted solid like mine you then think "well, it was so much hassle getting the subframe out I might as well drop the gearbox and replace the clutch". Then you think "Hmm, since the transmission tunnel will be partially dropped I might as well sort out the gear linkage". Then you think "With the box out and the subframe off there will never be a better time to replace the exhaust manifolds". And so it goes on...

BTW this is all assuming you've already got a Q2 or suchlike, if not you'll definitely need to budget for one.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
I chose KW V1's - after being recommended them by a few owners on here - & I have to say they're superb.

Cheers,
Hedge
Am thinking of kw's for my 3.2 GT. The variant 1's are height adjustable right? But fixed compression and rebound? How do they feel ie comfort vs stiffness?

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
I'm about to FSD my shed-project. Will report back....
Eibach springs?

My GTA saloon is on FSDs, Eibach roll bars and standard GTA springs at the minute, I think I will be popping some Eibachs on shortly, as comfy as it is I think I just need it a little lower and a little firmer.

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
KW V3s for me. I upgraded from FSDs, which were good, but not a patch on the V3s

·
Read Only
4,556 Posts
Yup, the Eibach springs that were going on the boys's 156 project will go on the GTA. I'll buy them a new set when they need them!

·
Registered
435 Posts
Am thinking of kw's for my 3.2 GT. The variant 1's are height adjustable right? But fixed compression and rebound? How do they feel ie comfort vs stiffness
Perfectly comfortable for me & not too low/ stiff. According to The Alfa Workshop, mine now drives/ feels like one of the better ones they've had. It'll look the part soon, too, once it's been re-trimmed & resprayed.

I took the advice of a few I trust on here (re the the suspension) & I'm so glad I did.

Cheers,
Hedge

·
Registered
137 Posts
Mine was on Eibachs & Konis when I got it and it was too low in my opinion for day to day (not sure what height Eibachs they were) i also found it a little skittish on the roads where I live. I put the car back on standard springs and now it feels like more grip is available more of the time just a little more wallowy. I will probably look to put the up-rated roll bar kit on at some point in the near future to address that issue.

The Eibachs I have are free to anyone who wishes to collect (Im in Harlow), they are to fit a SW.

I can confirm that Hedges set up looks about spot on in the height department!:thumbup:

·
Registered
376 Posts
Am thinking of kw's for my 3.2 GT. The variant 1's are height adjustable right? But fixed compression and rebound? How do they feel ie comfort vs stiffness?
They are perfect, stiff but good. Got Novitec stradale+ from alfisti.net, these are made by kw and are exactly the same as v1. Ajustable height yes, not rebound and compression.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Version 1 for me also with Eibach ARB and It's superb. Comfortable and very controllable. The only issue is that whilst the rears have plenty of height adjustment, the fronts are near maximum, this is not an issue but I think the front needs longer springs, and have told KW this.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
FSD's and Eibach springs will give you pretty hard suspension. I have since changed the shocks to Bilstien B8 Sprint shocks, which were better but the ride is still pretty harsh.

Next I think I will try KW's probably V1 as a lot of people have said that they ride a lot better

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
No Q2 mj2k, is a new diff really that important heard mixed reports.....
Really? I'd heard it was pretty much a must - both to protect the gearbox from diff explosions, and from another thread I heard the theory the stock suspension is set up so softly because it can't get the power down onto the road with stiffer suspension and a standard diff.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Really? I'd heard it was pretty much a must - both to protect the gearbox from diff explosions, and from another thread I heard the theory the stock suspension is set up so softly because it can't get the power down onto the road with stiffer suspension and a standard diff.
Yeah, nothing negative but that the difference in handling is minimal, over rated. On the other hand though I hear it's essential.
I need to make to make a decision quick as I believe the Q2 sysytem is not manufactured anymore. It would be nice to drive a GTA with a Q2 diff to see for myself.

·
Vendor
46,348 Posts
Yeah, nothing negative but that the difference in handling is minimal, over rated. On the other hand though I hear it's essential.
I need to make to make a decision quick as I believe the Q2 sysytem is not manufactured anymore. It would be nice to drive a GTA with a Q2 diff to see for myself.
Its OK, you can always get the Quaife if they stop selling the Q2 diff. They are basically the same thing anyway.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Gone for the V1's Hedge, Q2 next, I've decided! I'm thinking of using Alfa Tecnico, they seem to be the only ones still offering the Q2 system, correct if I'm wrong. Anyone dealt with these guys?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts