Alfa Romeo Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Can i do this???? I don't want the ride to be rock hard. I've got a '98 145 1.8TS, which i think sits a tad too high & could do with stiffening up to reduce body roll. Budget wont alloy for complete kit, though i've noticed that alot of companies just seem to advertise the springs by themselves.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
In theory yes, but it depends on the type of springs. As I understand it:
Some lowering springs are physically shorter, and can leave the spring seats if your wheels leave the ground wink
But some are the same length as OEM and lower the car by having a different (softer) spring rate in some coils.
You need to establish that the springs are not going to leave their seats during "focussed driving". :D

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
In theory yes, but it depends on the type of springs. As I understand it:
Some lowering springs are physically shorter, and can leave the spring seats if your wheels leave the ground wink
But some are the same length as OEM and lower the car by having a different (softer) spring rate in some coils.
You need to establish that the springs are not going to leave their seats during "focussed driving". :D

·
Administrator
47,022 Posts
We heard you the first time Rick :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:<hr /><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by RicksAlfas:
<strong>In theory yes, but it depends on the type of springs. As I understand it:
You need to establish that the springs are not going to leave their seats during "focussed driving". :D </strong><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">So what is your recomendation about a sport kit of springs. As I already use a kit of Eibach lower springs I have to say that I am not 100% satisfied from them!! :( They are softer and lower the car more thn 40mm (instead of the 30mm Eibach claims) I am examining the solution of the OMP dampers-springs kit and the Osrav one. The price is almost the same (Osrav is slightly higher but I think is more reliable....maybe.... :( )

However I am very confused as I cannot afford a mistake....

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
GIANNIS146
I wouldn't like to recommend anything as I have no experience myself of suspension kits. I have a 1999 145 QV and the suspension is already too hard for the bumpy roads round here!!
Personally if I was buying something, I would buy a matched set of spring and dampers from the same recognised manufacturer such as Eibach or Koni.
BUT don't make the mistake that just because something is lowered or harder that it has to be better. There are all sorts of consequences such as altering the roll centre of the car which I admit I don't understand fully....
eek!

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Rick you are right about the other factors you mention and I agree with you!! Do you know the thickness of the anti-roll bars of the 146ti? Sorry but here nobody knows anything about that :( . I have already measured mine and the results are 20mm for the front and 16mm for the rear.

·
Registered
17,177 Posts
Don't know the thickness.
Rarebear might know.
Are you thinking of getting some stiffer anti roll bars??

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
Yes because I think that the rear one is not thick enough

To rarebear:
Do you know the thickness of the anti-roll bar for the 146ti?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
I wouldn't recommend standard shocks with lowered springs (regardless of why they are lower - rate or length). This will kill the shock because it is designed to work at a lower spring rate and greater length and eventually cause really [email protected] handling. Best to splash out and get both changed together (thus saving on labour when it is in bits). False economy to change just the springs.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Giannis, not by heart but will check with my brother..
regarding lower springs I advice against it for the front (engne is already too close to the tarmac) the rear , only 3 cm with more progressive springs, same lenght unloaded as standard. remove protective sump bracket, these brackets cause most of the knackered sumps as they are fitted with steel bolts into the sump. When the bracket gets hit it will in most cases crack the sump because of the steel bolts.

G

·
Discussion Starter #13
Cheers for the advice guys. Look like the suspension may have to wait until funds allow. Guess i'll just have to slow down round corners......... :D . Too used to my old 205GTi & Clio 16v. They cornered like go-karts.......much fun was had laughing

G

·
Discussion Starter #14
I have already broken my sump last year but I didn't know anything about that brackets. I'm going to check it out as the car is lowered about 40mm. Something else I cannot understand is why the rear axis of the 146ti is narrower than the others?? I think it should be wider for better handling but....?? Any ideas!!!

PS Thanks rarebear I'm waiting...!!

·
Registered
443 Posts
just a bit of a warning for anyone looking to lower their car on the cheap: DON'T BUY PI SPRINGS.

A previous owner put them on my car. Cheap and nasty doesn't even begin to describe it.

They knackered the handling something nasty and then snapped!

These things aren't worth doing unless you're going to do it properly. Why pay money to knacker your car?

G

·
Discussion Starter #16
Any news for the anti-roll bar thickness for the 146 ti????

And something else as I'm looking for a new set of suspension I was adviced to use the KW set (it costs "only" 1500euros :( :( :( ) Do you have any epxerience with this brand??? I'm still very confused about the suspension :( frown

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
the expert says that the rollbar of 1.8 and 2.0 are just 2mm thicker than 1.4...

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
regarding the rear axle, use spacers (10mm) but check if tyres do not scrub the inside.

G

·
Discussion Starter #19
Just to add to Rich T's comment on the PI springs.
I fitted these springs to my Lancia HF Turbo many years ago which improved the look of the car no end.
That was until I tried to navigate a speed hump and put a small hole in the sump.
10 miles later 1 seized engine and 1 P***ed of Lancia owner.
Repaired engine/sump removed PI springs and fitted Koni kit and never had any more problems, just a car that out handled most things on the road.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts